Occasional Contributor

I have a Balsam and I think it was worth the price. I would get in the summer though.  Cheaper..Or anytime before November really. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Trees

[ Edited ]

Our main Christmas tree we got from Balsam Hill last year...I highly recommend. We prefer to put on our own lights because we have our particulars like incandescent lights and random flicker. We don't like the lighting from LED lights whatsoever or all the crazy functions. Additionally, it's easier to replace the lights if they stop working without having to replace an entire tree. These trees are high quality too.

As for a slim tree or tabletop tree, I recommend Valerie Parr Hill's glistening tree which comes in 3', 5', 7' and 9'. We have 3 of the 3' (2 multi & 1 clear) and 2 of the 5' (1 multi and 1 clear). We love everything about these trees and even though they come with the lights, they are easily replaceable with similar sets we have and can purchase more light sets or bulbs anywhere.

Respected Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia  This is primarily what I was wondering about.  It seems that lighting issues can be a problem from the most expensive trees, to the big box store variety. They need to work on this.  We buy pre-lit trees for a reason.  

Unless you're willing (and capable) to string new lights, you basically have a disposable tree. That would be so disappointing.

Glad you've been able to work around it, while still enjoying the authentic appearance of your BH tree.  I guess I'll stick with my slim VPH tree.  Now I'm a little nervous to bring it out again, for fear I might have lighting issues, too.  One never knows.  

Respected Contributor
I would not buy a Christmas tree from QVC. I’ve purchased a Bethlehem Lights tree years ago, 9 foot. Was great the first year but the second year we pulled it out, not all the lights worked right. Eventually tried Santa’s Best from QVC & that was worse. Again, fine the first year but second year lights went out, light colors faded, blinking didn’t work right. These were both very expensive trees. I know how 2 trees from Home Depot. Don’t know specific name brand that we got at end of year clearance sale. A 7 foot for $50 and a 12 foot for about $120. They’re very nice. Had them a loooong time & they work year after year.
Respected Contributor

@Carolyn57 @BlueFinch   I believe one of the main causes of the early demise of the pre-lit trees (regardless of price or brand) is because we try to fit them back into the boxes they came in.  

Once they have been used the first season, they've been "fluffed" and so forth they are not going to fit back in the original box.  I've found it much better to get the proper sized artificial tree storage bag and I also store mine upright, rather than on their sides.

I have enough room in my bedroom closet to do this, luckily, so I no longer experience the problem of lights not working--knock on wood.

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know where I can get a FAT tree 7.5 feet? I have a Balsam Hill that I bought two years ago and while it is somewhat big, I wwould love to have one that is broader...

Respected Contributor

@aroc3435 I bet you're absolutely right. This did cross my mind, when I was putting my tree away last year, in the original box.  If it makes it through, without problems, I will definitely purchase a storage bag.