Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Spirit

[ Edited ]

I feel the same as I always do this time of year, and am ready to celebrate the reason for the season.   

Christmas in my family has always been more spiritual and reverent, not flashy and showy.   I personally don't connect to big scale holiday decor, that screams Christmas everywhere you look.  There are many beautiful holiday related pictures posted here, but none are meaningful to me, in the way my family celebrates this special holiday. 

I prefer simple touches of Christmas in my home; the silver tabletop tree that reminds my husband of the one he had in Vietnam, The Holy family statues, our family bible open to Luke 2, the holiday tablecloth on our dining room table, a large poinsettia, along with holiday linens in the kitchen and bath.  Until our contractor finishes the work outside, we cannot hang our star and lights on the front porch.   

My family will eat well and enjoy a very peaceful holiday.   

Respected Contributor

@Miss Pepsi wrote:

My husband passed away September 10 and while I have my tree up that is about it.  I love christmas and I did get all my cards out, but I am barely going through the motions as I have a hard enough time just getting through each day.  He would hate this for me because he knew how much I love Christmas but I just cannot shake it.

@Miss Pepsi    I’m sorry for your loss.  This year more than ever has been so hard.  Thinking of you.  I’m glad to hear that you did get your tree up.  Thoughts and prayers.  

Honored Contributor

My Christmas spirit is intact. In fact, with less to do, DH and I commented that it feels simpler and more spiritual. My only concern is that when the tree comes down after Epiphany, I'll feel sad. I'm sorry about you loss @Miss Pepsi . Your feelings are totally understandable.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Christmas feels very different to me this year. I just put up my trees and that helped a little. I have never decorated this late before. Just don't have much spirit......I miss gathering with my friends, going out shopping, going to church.....just simple things that no one can do without thinking, anymore. 

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I feel the same as I always do this time of year, and am ready to celebrate the reason for the season.   

Christmas in my family has always been more spiritual and reverent, not flashy and showy.   I personally don't connect to big scale holiday decor, that screams Christmas everywhere you look.  There are many beautiful holiday related pictures posted here, but none are meaningful to me, in the way my family celebrates this special holiday. 

I prefer simple touches of Christmas in my home; the silver tabletop tree that reminds my husband of the one he had in Vietnam, The Holy family statues, our family bible open to Luke 2, the holiday tablecloth on our dining room table, a large poinsettia, along with holiday linens in the kitchen and bath.  Until our contractor finishes the work outside, we cannot hang our star and lights on the front porch.   

My family will eat well and enjoy a very peaceful holiday.   

Just wanted to say your Christmas sounds very beautiful!  

Regular Contributor

This has been a very, very tough year for all of us. I am also having a hard time getting the Christmas spirit, but I do a little decorating every day and things are coming together. It uplifts me and I feel that I have contributed to the spirit of the holidays in my 3 room apartment, in my own way.  We now have so much to look forward to.  If nothing else, this year we have learned how to step back and reset our priorities. Let's concentrate on the true meaning of Christmas.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Miss Pepsi I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. It is hard to feel like celebrating a holiday when you have lost someone dear to you. 

Honored Contributor
@Miss Pepsi, I'm so sorry for your loss, I know this season is very hard for you this year, for good reason. I am glad to know you have your tree up.
I feel like I am forcing myself this year. I have no "spirit" for what I am doing, but hoping each step will eventually bring the spirit, so far, it has not. I just 2 days ago finished my decorating, and I cut back quite a bit this year, it's enough though. Am now forcing myself to do a bit of baking. My family and I are doing strictly "zoom" this year, it's a poor substitute, but better than nothing, with the hope of a big family gathering this summer, conditions permitting. We soldier on... like always.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

It is way different for us. 

We were just entering and getting used to the empty nest thing anyway, but now, pretty much not having anyone around, and my oven has been broken since July (I'm a big holiday baker), and waiting on parts they say are 'covid delayed', it just stinks. 

Have a new grandson we aren't getting to spend hardly any time with because of it, not getting to have my mom in the same house with us, social distancing from other family and friends, all of it making the holiday seem sad.

I was having trouble getting into a 'new normal' the last few years with the empty nest thing, and now this. I guess when it's over, it will make what was our 'new normal' seem wonderful, when it really didn't feel that way before. We found how bad it really could be this year.

Honored Contributor

Although Christmas might be different and more challenging this year, the Christmas spirit feels the same for me. A lot of us have lost loved ones this year. @Miss Pepsi - my thoughts are with you. A lot of us are living life differently- well, all of us are.

I'm not running around, shopping, baking non stop, attending parties, and watching the squares on my December calendar fill up. But I am looking at the Christmas star, watching Christmas shows, reading, and relaxing. I am reading the Christmas story and singing along loudly (by myself sometimes) to familiar hymns and songs.  I am appreciating the "peace" of Christmas.

But the most important thing to remember is Christmas = HOPE. We can all have that, no matter what our circumstances are. We can reach out to others who are struggling, even if we're not leaving our homes, and help them realize the power of believing in something better coming. We can do something good for someone, even if it's just dropping off a card two houses down, or making a phone call. Anyone can hope, and no one can take that away.

And we can appreciate the blessings we've been given. Smiley Happy