Respected Contributor

The holiday definitely will be different this year, but I'm feeling pretty upbeat and full of Christmas spirit.  The house is decorated and gifts and cards have been sent.  Next on the list is Christmas baking.  I hope to gets some baking done in time to ship the results, but I'm okay if I can't manage that.  We have several Zoom get-togethers scheduled.  While using Zoom is a poor substitute for in-person visits, at least it's a way to see friends and family.  I'm actually looking forward to having a quiet and peaceful Christmas Day.  I won't have the stress of preparing a dinner for 30+ people and the clean-up afterwards.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

The holiday definitely will be different this year, but I'm feeling pretty upbeat and full of Christmas spirit.  The house is decorated and gifts and cards have been sent.  Next on the list is Christmas baking.  I hope to gets some baking done in time to ship the results, but I'm okay if I can't manage that.  We have several Zoom get-togethers scheduled.  While using Zoom is a poor substitute for in-person visits, at least it's a way to see friends and family.  I'm actually looking forward to having a quiet and peaceful Christmas Day.  I won't have the stress of preparing a dinner for 30+ people and the clean-up afterwards.  

@Marsha 2002  I guess I neglected to mention in my original post that we will be doing Zoom, too, as we did for Thanksgiving.  Yes, it is a poor substitute.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday   I wanted to make sure you knew that poinsettias are poisonous to pets.  Just be sure to keep yours where your cat can't get to it.

Day after day the whole day through, wherever my road inclined, four feet said 'I'm coming with you!' and trotted along behind. Kipling

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I have none.

I simply just think of my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad

Lily.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Spirit

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

@Nonametoday   I wanted to make sure you knew that poinsettias are poisonous to pets.  Just be sure to keep yours where your cat can't get to it.

@NickNack 

Thank you for reminding everyone.  I do know that.  This is not my first kitty.  LOL.  She is one of hundreds throughout my lifetime.  It is a very real looking silk poinsettia.  Thank you again.

I swore I would never have another pet after our two very sad experiences over the past few years but then this was a rescue and I was hooked when I saw that pretty little face.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

I see the difference as being the lesson...

what lesson..."

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

what lesson..."

@nana59 I assume she is talking about difference between the holiday and the religious observation.

Respected Contributor

It is hard to feel spirited when there are no parties, restaurants are limited, stores aren't so crowded, and there's a pandemic on.  Man Tongue

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

The spirit, decorating and festivities seem FORCED. I think most people are just going through the motions and really aren't in the mood.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Christmas Spirit

[ Edited ]

@nana59 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

what lesson..."

Let me see how I can put this - 

Too many have been focused on how to celebrate and not on why. They exhaust themselves and the real meaning gets lost or only given a brief nod.

On top of that, the more you focus on the why, the frivolous things lose importance and there's more appreciation for the things that really matter.

Also, the circumstances this year provide even more reason to focus on the why and there is so much joy in that!

And for those not able to be with/visit family this year, it also provides an opportunity to deepen your compassion for those who have that be the case all the time and reach out to them.

Simplify the decor, baking, shopping, etc and trade that in for service instead.

So many lessons and so much to be grateful for regardless of what one usually does this time of year.

A very merry Christmas is definitely possible - it's all in how you choose to look at it.