Honored Contributor

Christmas Shopping -- Out in the real world

I decided to do some shopping yesterday --- brave the crowds, people watch and try to su*ck up some Christmas atmosphere!

I was just wondering - those of you who did or are doing actual brick and mortar shopping -- what stores have you found to be the busiest, which ones were the best stocked, best deals, had the most available help, or -- on the opposite end --- were not well stocked, no good deals, had not enough help, etc, -- and were just not a happy shopping experience?

I found that Kohl's was very, very busy.  They had as many cashers as they could, but you still had to wait in long lines.  I forgot my coupons, but was still given a 20%.  Deals were so-so.  

K-Mart was not very busy.  It was a very pleasant experience and they had a lot of great deals and were well stocked.  Lines were not bad at all and everyone was super cool and friendly.

Tuesday Morning.  I love this store no matter what day of the year.  It was not real busy either.  I picked up a lot of great toy deals.  Got some presents for later occasions, some beautiful designer looking cards for next year and some other odds and ends.  No lines at all.

Bon-Ton.  Busy.  Wonderful deals, lot of merchandise.  Fantastic coupons.  Waited in line, but not long.  As many cashiers available as possible.  One of my favorite stores,

T-J Maxx.  Oh,my.  I think everhyone and their mother, grandmother, uncle, sister, cousin, etc., etc., was in there!!!  What a zoo.  You would have thought they were giving things away.  Uh --- they weren't.  They were normally stocked.  Nothing to get excited about.  I walked out with a plate and 2 bras.  Too crowded and waited in a long line.

This was just a sampling of my shopping day!!! Thanks for your replies.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Re: Christmas Shopping -- Out in the real world

I've done a little shopping in the stores but I mostly shop in the evening especially when the hours are extended. Kohl's was the busiest but still not bad-I was in there from around 9-11 pm a couple of nights ago. I did some outlet shopping last week and even hit the QVC outlet and they were not busy at all and that was Monday during the day. I also hit Ross and a few other places, none were as busy as I expected. I have not braved the big mall however, at least not in the last couple of weeks. They're probably mobbed.

Honored Contributor

I tried to go to Loft the other day.  There literally was not any place to park.  I drove around the whole parking lot, along with many other people, and couldn't find an empty place.  I gave up and left.  This wasn't at the Mall, but was at a nice shopping center.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Busiest stores I've seen on my few outings -  Apple, Verizon, CVS, and the huge Total Wine shop near me.

Based on the clothing, jewelry, and home decor areas I also checked out, I'm waiting for the post-holiday clearances.  I saw little special and there's lots of everything.  Even one of the sales women I trust most quietly recommended waiting until "everything will be on sale after Christmas."  She could be right.

Honored Contributor

We went to TJMaxx to return a pair of boots ordered online. We were greeted at the front door by a pleasant happy woman, and then it was shoppers who were rude and unpleasant. All cash registers were open and cashier was very friendly.  When we left (within 15 minutes of being in the store) the same woman thanked us for shopping and wished us happy holidays. We went to Kohl's the other day and the store was busy.  Not enough registers to take care of customers. Employees looked stressed and tired. As someone else mentioned, late at night or very early morning might be the best time to shop.  And then comes the 26th!  Good luck everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

I have been in avoid the stores mode this holiday season, but when I have ventured in it's been at typical slower times such 2:00pm on a weekday, before 9:00am, or after 6:00pm.  I was in a TJ Maxx at 8:00am yesterday and there were very few customers, but becuase the staff was busy bringing out new stock the shelves and racks were orderly and easy to browse.  I was looking for inexpensive, elegant looking, good quality wrapping paper and gift bags which they had, but becuase the shopping experience was so pleasant a couple of other items, which I had not intended to buy ended up in my cart.  

One good thing about the warmer temps in the north is that it slows sales of outerwear, heavy sweaters, and boots for inclimate weather.  That's great for anyone who is in the market for new stuff of this type because retailers will have significant reductions on this merchandise in Jan. and Feb. due to the overstock.  

Honored Contributor

I went to one anchor store last week and I only passed one other shopper.  I was in and out in ten minutes.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1  I was just regular shopping for a couple of things I really needed (I already got my small Christmas gift list done)....

On  Saturday I went to a small shopping center and went in to Bed, Bath, and Beyond....there were a lot of customers shopping but only a few in line checking out....was in and out very quickly......

Our area has a COMBO T.J. Maxx/Homegoods and it ALWAYS looks like what you described they have a BOOMING business ALL YEAR LONG!....thankfully all the cashiers are always open and the line moves very quickly.....and cashiers are always friendly despite the crowds.......

But last Thursday went to the "open" mall (so called because the causeways are not inside----the stores are strong together, but you walk outside from store to store)  Anyway my sis and I went early but very few people in the stores....But OH MY the huge shopping center across the highway was JUMPING!!! (they have TJ/Homegoods, JCP, Kirklands, Target, World Market, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, DSW, numerous restaurants, clothing and sporting goods stores. etc etc etc).....the crowds, traffic, and congestion were unbelivable....we quickly headed OUT and far away from that MAD HOUSE along a back road......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I went to Macy's, drove around and around to find a parking place.  Milled around the store a while, gave up and went home to do internet shopping.  Also went in TJM,

not overly busy.  Home Goods was quite busy.  My friend said Kohls was crazy-busy.

Petsmart was very busy; you know how important it is to get gifts for the furry ones.

I'm glad to hear people are out in the stores shopping, but I did almost all of mine from the computer this year.  I saw both USPS and UPS out and about yesterday, Sunday. 

Respected Contributor

No way, Jose.  I live in one of the largest retail cities in Ohio (Mentor), and it would be every woman for herself, even if I could actually get near a store with my car.  Any B&M shopping I have to do is done no later than early November, the rest is online.  Christmas shopping has really taken the fun and love out of Christmas IMO.

Laura loves cats!