Super Contributor

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Programming

I enjoy watching QVC families baking Christmas goodies, visits to the host's homes, etc. but when regular programming ceases on those two days, I wish they would also go back to when the hosts sang, and when they showed bloopers and other fun things that the hosts did throughout the year. I still remember Lisa R. performing Baby, It's Cold Outside with another host.

What would you like to see on the Q on Christmas Eve and Christmas? They may not take our recommendations and run with them, but we can at least make some suggestions for them to consider.
"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Eve & Christmas Day Programming

It seems to me that they are now just selling on this period as well. There are item numbers and the segments are designed around a product ( or products) that they sell.

I remember, years ago, it was more about the season, and not about selling for those few hours. Some of the hosts and vendors read children's books to kids, some family baking, some music and singing. I liked it better when the weren't slipping the sales tactics in too. I think it is rather cheesy now.

Honored Contributor

What do the other shopping channels do at that time?  Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops, I may be wrong but I think the other shopping channels do nothing special on Christmas Eve & Day.  It's business as usual, though I think the programming is recorded.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkrThen that's why QVC is changing, too.  The Internet is open and people with Christmas cash are spending.  That old adage about the early bird still holds because if they can spend that "new" money at HSN or Amazon or any place except QVC, then that's what they'll do.

Retailing has now become one more industry where many workers don't get the day off.  I suspect it's very costly for companies not to participate.

Respected Contributor

I agree.  I remember the types of clips they used to show.  Very enjoyable!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Respected Contributor

I celebrate Christmas with a very small family.  It is one of the few days that I'm not on my MacBook or channel flipping on TV.

Whatever they choose to broadcast on QVC during Dec. 25 is fine with me.  I respect QVC for giving the majority of their staff a small break.  I imagine there are still a lot of people ( albeit a skeletal crew) still needed to keep such a huge company running.  

Honored Contributor

HSN comes back on the air on Christmas Day sometime in the evening.  I want to say 8pm?

I remember a couple of years ago, HSN had a computer TS on Christmas Day and Chris Scanlon came on the air that night and apologized for the TS selling out early and people were unable to purchase it but the promos kept broadcasting it because it was recorded.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Frequent Contributor

I would love bloopers! It would be great to watch something funny.

Respected Contributor

I do remember their holiday programming years ago, & it was kind of fun watching the cooking segments.  The one with Lisa R dancing with another host - that was Dave King who left to pursue an acting career.  I know I later saw him in an episode of Law & Order (might have been SVU).  I also had the CD of holiday songs that the hosts recorded;  not sure if I still have it.

Now, though, I don't want to watch home shopping on Christmas.  I usually watch a couple of favorite movies on DVD that may or may not be holiday-themed.   I already have too much stuff & don't need to be shopping, no matter how good the sale price looks.