Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Decor Storage ~ A major issue with me

I used to work with a lady that rented a storage unit to store her Christmas items in. 

I really don't feel like I have that much but it certainly seems to take up a lot of room.

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not my spouse has suggested getting a small one because it would be easier than climbing up in the attic, taking up space under bed and everywhere else!

Plus, god forbid something happens & he can't carry it down (on pull up ladder) it will already be easy to access.

I already planned to do this after Christmas it's worth the $30/month!!!

Trusted Contributor

Yes, whenever I buy something new for my home (whether it's for Christmas or not), I'm always thinking about storage!  Like many of us, I change certain things out from season to season.  I have bins for fall, winter, Christmas, Easter, and a few other times of year. 

My largest collection by far is Christmas.  We moved two years ago and I did a HUGE cleanout then.  However, with the new house, came new decorations!  I am quickly filling up the bins I had emptied two years ago.  Little things are easier for me to put away, but that isn't my problem.  It's the larger items that I seem to be collecting. Will it ever end?!? lol

Honored Contributor

Oh My! You have struck a nerve with me. I store the Christmas decorations in the attic. And it just became so easy, to just put the new decorations in the front. And push the older decorations further back. 

Christmas decorations used to take up a portion of the left side of the attic. Now it takes up about three times the original space. We only bring down a small portion of the decorations. 

Time for some purging, if only to see what Christmas decorations, we do have. We have been purging boxes and boxes of books. Both my husband and I saved many of our books from high school and college. Just piled the boxes in the back corner of the attic and forgot about them. Until now.

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Regal Bee

I can certainly empathize with you....I also have a lot of Christmas stuff (and seasonal stuff for spring and fall too)...Storage is a big issue for me...I do donate and give stuff away. And yes I do think about storage before considering new Christmas purchases. 

I have a small home and like you no basements in Texas and I dont put my Christmas stuff in my storage room off my patio because of the heat.  A friend did that and ruined many of her items....  So that adds to the storage issue too...

@Spurt   Years ago, I placed some of my Hallmark ornaments in the attic (just not thinking) and they were ruined. That cured me! I have so many delicate Christmas Santas that just cannot be pushed into boxes....so I am in a quandary. I have to come up with a plan......and I will. 

Valued Contributor

@Mominohio

What a fantastic idea to store Christmas decorations in objects in each room. I love it!  I just wish I had more room for trunks and things in my apartment.

I've been buying Christmas decorations for 45 years, and have enough for a few homes. Unfortunately we downsized several years ago, and have all our Christmas decorations in a storage unit.  It's getting harder every year to load up our cars with boxes and haul them to our apartment, then have to haul them back to storage after Christmas. Not to mention, it's ridiculous to pay for storage year after year. I could buy all new decorations, every year, and throw them away, for less than what we pay to store them. LOL.

I love decorating for Christmas, and I'm very sentimental about what I've collected. But I have finally decided to be practical. My plan is to purge most of my things before Christmas, and only keep enough to decorate my living and dining room.  I will probably still need to maintain a small storage unit, but I will be saving a great deal of money.

I was planning on giving some things to a niece that has expressed interest, and donating the rest, but I would be thrilled if I could sell some.

I'm very interested in learning about "local garage sale Facebook sites". Do you know how I would find them in my area? TIA

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Regal Bee

I vowed not to buy one more home or christmas (seasonal) decor after our remodel was completed.   And it's been 3 months and I haven't bought a thing --  Now, I wish I could say the same for endless sets of Lock N Locks & Temptations / tableware in my cabinets/storage area-- I have so much of this😮🙄.  I don't entertain much anymore with table settings, etc. 

As for storage -- I'm in the same dilemma as you!  Last year, I did under the bed storage containers for all my "glass & fragile" items since I was storing them in clear containers in the garage.  Too

many and a lot of excess!  I have things up in the attic space & in my guest closet.  I am definitely out of space & options☹️.  

After Christmas (Fall) I went thru things I hadn't used or ready to go to trash.  I sold a lot at community yard sale -- what didn't sell donated to charity.  

I haven't decorated for Christmas a lot since I go home.  I decorated big time last year because my family was coming -- no one coming this year so I may do just some outside. 

I'm sure you'll find a "solution" because I always enjoy (and admire) your beautiful groupings & pics of your home!

@homedecor1  Yes, I have made up my mind to find a solution. The number one thing I have to do is to STOP buying. The amount of Christmas items I presently have is bordering on the insane. 

My husband and I are having a huge neighborhood garage sale in early November and that will be the perfect time to unload some of this stuff.

Thanks for your kind words about the pictures.

Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

@Mominohio

What a fantastic idea to store Christmas decorations in objects in each room. I love it!  I just wish I had more room for trunks and things in my apartment.

I've been buying Christmas decorations for 45 years, and have enough for a few homes. Unfortunately we downsized several years ago, and have all our Christmas decorations in a storage unit.  It's getting harder every year to load up our cars with boxes and haul them to our apartment, then have to haul them back to storage after Christmas. Not to mention, it's ridiculous to pay for storage year after year. I could buy all new decorations, every year, and throw them away, for less than what we pay to store them. LOL.

I love decorating for Christmas, and I'm very sentimental about what I've collected. But I have finally decided to be practical. My plan is to purge most of my things before Christmas, and only keep enough to decorate my living and dining room.  I will probably still need to maintain a small storage unit, but I will be saving a great deal of money.

I was planning on giving some things to a niece that has expressed interest, and donating the rest, but I would be thrilled if I could sell some.

I'm very interested in learning about "local garage sale Facebook sites". Do you know how I would find them in my area? TIA

@CaliKat

I have to admit, there is something very tempting about off site storage of things like this, having the stuff out of your space for most of the year, but I agree, I'm to the point of not liking the idea of loading things up and drive them to and from every year. 

I do have to ask you, and others that have said they keep a storage unit for such things, doesn't the excess heat/cold and maybe dampness ruin your things? Or do other places have those indoor/climate controlled units that we don't seem to have around here?

I found the local garage sale sites on Facebook simply by searching both through Google, and searching on Facebook too. Most areas have quite a few of them. You can choose to have people come to your home to pick up things, or you can arrange to meet them in a public place, like the mall parking lot and make the transaction.

I've moved on literally car loads of things from both my house and my mom's this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Regal Bee .Which lake do you live on?   Your home is so beautiful.  Love all your pictures on here!

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee

What a perfect time for community sale since many are thinking about holiday decorating.  Ours is in April (changed from November because of "snowbirds" and I always did very well selling). In April, Not many were "interested" in Christmas stuff (or other seasonal decor) - my friend had 2 tables of beautiful things many from Q & HSN...very few things sold☹️.

Wish I lived near you ...I'd be there for sure -- eventhough, I'm suppose to be "good"!😉