Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Decor Storage ~ A major issue with me

I enjoy decorating for Christmas but I do not over buy or over decorate.....what I have fits in  4 large storage tubs in the garage along with the more delicate things in a closet in the extra bedroom.

I had shelves installed on the short wall in the closet, (no room is taken up where clothes are hung) there is enough room for a large tub to sit on the floor and the shelving holds plastic storage containers that hold glass ornaments, etc.

I will not add any more containers, I will have to get rid of something if I bring in something new...it's my self imposed rule. Not a lot of fun but I do not like storing stuff in the first place...I do not have a lot of excess decorating accessories.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

Oh sister get in line!

It's a BIG deal for me, and it does indeed now dictate what I buy and how much. 

I've posted it here in much detail before, but I now have most of the things I use for each room's holiday decor, stored in that room, in things like antique trunks or storage ottomans that are part of that room's every day/ all year decor. 

Less steps, and now no boxes to have to put away. Things are just layered in with thin bubble wrap or towels between layers. So far, no breaking of even some fragile things. 

I still have the Christmas tree ornaments, big wreaths for the doors and things stored either in the basement or upstairs, but about 90% of anything being used to decorate any given room, is now stored in that room.

This also give me a place to put away the 'regular' decor, right in the same room, until time to put it all back after the season. 

Has made my life much easier, but still, I'm out of space (but never out of ideas or the 'want' of new things...not sure how to 'fix' that!!).

@Mominohio - what a great idea! I've missed your previous posts about it! I can't believe I'm thinking about it, as summer for me just started this week. I still have a few Fourth of July things to put out! 

Right now, all Christmas is in the basement. I have A LOT. One of my closest friends is on a major purge, but I'm so darn sentimental - I just can't bring myself to do that yet. So we have lots of boxes piled up. 

I like your idea though. I may not get to it this year, but it will give me a goal to get to maybe next year! Smiley Happy 

@beach-mom

We have a basement, and for the most part it is dry (we do run a dehumidifier all summer/fall) cool and well lit, so perfect for storage. What I have found with holiday stuff, is the more space I make for it, the more I spend, the more I have and the more I have to deal with. 

It started out with a closet in the spare room (and our closets are rather small. That was all the Christmas I had. In our early years and child rearing years, we only added a thing or two here and there each year. After awhile the closet was full, and I should have stopped. 

But about five years ago, our financial situation eased some, and I went a bit nuts with holiday stuff. Decorative boxes, Valerie Parr Hill, and Hobby Lobby were my best friends. Everything I had collected over the years was not a matched, curated, perfect look like I built buying the new things.

And like you, I'm so darn sentimental about the older things I have. Many were gifts, or have meaning from my child enjoying them for years and some passed down things from several generations back, even a few pieces from my childhood. So what I have now is enough stuff to decorate three houses. 

Some I will pass to my son (he has expressed interest in a lot of things that are actually his, gifts from his grandmother over the years), and some just has to go. 

I'm committed to making this happen over the next couple of years. No more Christmas in the basement (except the trees, and seriously thinking of going down to one), and only decorative boxes in the closet. Anything else must store in the room it decorates. 

Should I ever decide not to keep the decor in each room, I have committed to going back to ONLY the guest room closet. But honestly I don't want to do that, as having it right in the room it will decorate is so time saving and saves so much physical work, not carrying things up and down steps.

I plan to start this fall, selling things on local garage sale Facebook sites. I've been doing this with other things this year, have made a lot of money and begun to clear out the recesses of my home that have become just over supplied with things. 

I'm in that "want to move some of this Christmas stuff out" phase but still hesitant to make it happen because of sentiment. I'm going to just start with some newer things that I bought on a whim. I'm going to keep in mind themes or styles I love and want to keep, and let go of things that don't fit those themes or styles. 

I've taken a lot of pictures over the years of my Christmas displays, and will be getting those out about September, to really look at what I have, what works well in a variety of settings, what things are too specific to be adaptable. I will evaluate the most sentimental things and see if I can figure out how to tie them in with vignettes or themes that fit my 'new style' 

My biggest goal is to have things that can be 'mixed and matched' much like we are supposed to do with our wardrobes, and things that will transcend seasons. In other words, fewer Santas, more lanterns and flameless candles. If I choose to keep snowmen, stick with a style (primitive ones for me, gone will be the 'cutesy' ones).

I've really been mulling this whole thing over for a few years now, and chose not to make quick decisions, but I want to take stock and do something now, before something happens and I am forced to do it quickly, which can lead to decisions one regrets later. 

Honored Contributor

@zanna wrote:

@Mominohio  That is brilliant and I will definitely incorporate your method.  My biggest storage problem is the 7.5' artificial tree.  It's beautiful and I love it, but 10 months out of 12, it's in the way, no matter where I put it. 

@zanna

I got tired of the bigger trees too, both during the holiday (for space reasons only) and during storage. 

I went down to a five footer in the living room (and boy does it look so much better to have something that actually fits the space, and not over take the entire room) and have a 6.5 foot in the family room. 

Seriously considering going down to one tree. Problem is we have so many ornaments that I'd have to cycle them every other year to enjoy them all. So the jury is still out on the one tree only thing!

But I feel your pain, I hate storing them even though we have a basement in which to do so.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Our basement is dry and has a storage room full of half empty shelves so storage is not an issue. Still, I don't want to fill it up.

@AuntG

I believe half empty shelving is a thing of beauty, right up there with a beautiful mountain range or a beach at sunset.

I find peace in things being only partially or loosely filled. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Regal Bee

I can certainly empathize with you....I also have a lot of Christmas stuff (and seasonal stuff for spring and fall too)...Storage is a big issue for me...I do donate and give stuff away. And yes I do think about storage before considering new Christmas purchases. 

I have a small home and like you no basements in Texas and I dont put my Christmas stuff in my storage room off my patio because of the heat.  A friend did that and ruined many of her items....  So that adds to the storage issue too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Mominohio. I like seeing empty shelving!

Honored Contributor

I don't have a space issue, but I don't like having a lot of extra stuff.  I moved out things I haven't used in a while or my tastes have changed.  My goal is to have one closet for all decor.  I am just about there.  If I buy any new, something old will move on.  

If I needed space, I'd use the space under the bed. 

Valued Contributor

It absolutely influences my decision to buy now and more often than not, I "leave mine at the store" as I've heard it said. I have to really love something to buy it now. I just don't have the room to store things anymore.

Frequent Contributor

I store my Christmas decorations on shelves and in storage cabinets in my garage.  I am trying to put everything in clear tubs so I can see what I have.  I have been trying to practice minimalism and have done well getting rid of things but i realize where I am failing.  I have to stop bringing new things in!  I need to break the cycle.

l find it difficult to lug boxes and tubs up a flight of stairs as I get older so like the idea of storing in the room.  

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee

I vowed not to buy one more home or christmas (seasonal) decor after our remodel was completed.   And it's been 3 months and I haven't bought a thing --  Now, I wish I could say the same for endless sets of Lock N Locks & Temptations / tableware in my cabinets/storage area-- I have so much of this😮🙄.  I don't entertain much anymore with table settings, etc. 

As for storage -- I'm in the same dilemma as you!  Last year, I did under the bed storage containers for all my "glass & fragile" items since I was storing them in clear containers in the garage.  Too

many and a lot of excess!  I have things up in the attic space & in my guest closet.  I am definitely out of space & options☹️.  

After Christmas (Fall) I went thru things I hadn't used or ready to go to trash.  I sold a lot at community yard sale -- what didn't sell donated to charity.  

I haven't decorated for Christmas a lot since I go home.  I decorated big time last year because my family was coming -- no one coming this year so I may do just some outside. 

I'm sure you'll find a "solution" because I always enjoy (and admire) your beautiful groupings & pics of your home!