Respected Contributor

Christmas Decor Storage ~ A major issue with me

I have so much Christmas decor that I find myself thinking about the storage of new purchases almost immediately.  It is really an issue with me.

Do you think about the storage of these items after the holidays? Does it influence your purchasing?

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Decor Storage ~ A major issue with me

Oh sister get in line!

It's a BIG deal for me, and it does indeed now dictate what I buy and how much. 

I've posted it here in much detail before, but I now have most of the things I use for each room's holiday decor, stored in that room, in things like antique trunks or storage ottomans that are part of that room's every day/ all year decor. 

Less steps, and now no boxes to have to put away. Things are just layered in with thin bubble wrap or towels between layers. So far, no breaking of even some fragile things. 

I still have the Christmas tree ornaments, big wreaths for the doors and things stored either in the basement or upstairs, but about 90% of anything being used to decorate any given room, is now stored in that room.

This also give me a place to put away the 'regular' decor, right in the same room, until time to put it all back after the season. 

Has made my life much easier, but still, I'm out of space (but never out of ideas or the 'want' of new things...not sure how to 'fix' that!!).

Respected Contributor

I recently went on a cleaning out spree. Many Christmas decorations went. Am trying to live more simply. I know I will miss some things but it is the choice I made. It is just the two of us now and holidays are spent with my son and his family. 

Respected Contributor

I live in Florida and do not have a basement for storage. I really don't like storing delicate items in the attic....way too much heat.

So.....my studio is taking the hit from all the Christmas overflow. Just had enough. I am going to use what I already have for Christmas this year. I have enough stuff for three houses already.  I suppose I am getting to the age of realizing 'okay, enough already.'

I am looking forwarding to seeing all the ideas and tips for storage.

@Mominohio  Thanks!!

Valued Contributor

I have a 12x22 room in my basement that I store all my seasonal decorations in. I don't like to use my closet space for these things, and I won't store anything under my beds. Being in the basement, they are never in my way or taking up space in our living area. 😀

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Oh sister get in line!

It's a BIG deal for me, and it does indeed now dictate what I buy and how much. 

I've posted it here in much detail before, but I now have most of the things I use for each room's holiday decor, stored in that room, in things like antique trunks or storage ottomans that are part of that room's every day/ all year decor. 

Less steps, and now no boxes to have to put away. Things are just layered in with thin bubble wrap or towels between layers. So far, no breaking of even some fragile things. 

I still have the Christmas tree ornaments, big wreaths for the doors and things stored either in the basement or upstairs, but about 90% of anything being used to decorate any given room, is now stored in that room.

This also give me a place to put away the 'regular' decor, right in the same room, until time to put it all back after the season. 

Has made my life much easier, but still, I'm out of space (but never out of ideas or the 'want' of new things...not sure how to 'fix' that!!).

@Mominohio - what a great idea! I've missed your previous posts about it! I can't believe I'm thinking about it, as summer for me just started this week. I still have a few Fourth of July things to put out! 

Right now, all Christmas is in the basement. I have A LOT. One of my closest friends is on a major purge, but I'm so darn sentimental - I just can't bring myself to do that yet. So we have lots of boxes piled up. 

I like your idea though. I may not get to it this year, but it will give me a goal to get to maybe next year! Smiley Happy 

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

I have so much Christmas decor that I find myself thinking about the storage of new purchases almost immediately.  It is really an issue with me.

Do you think about the storage of these items after the holidays? Does it influence your purchasing?

@Regal Bee  Yes, I think about it, no it hasn't influenced my buying, but this year it may.

Trusted Contributor

I'm in a major purge cycle, so I've been dealing with this issue for the past week. I have several totes of Christmas decor and I'm still trying to pare it down. So far, I've eliminated one tote but it's still a work in process.

It's definitely influencing my future purchases. If I don't know exactly where I'm going to put a potential purchase when I get it home, then I don't need it. If something is already in the spot where I plan to put it, then I need to love it enough to get rid of what is already there or leave it in the store. 

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Regal Bee  Yes, I think about it, no it hasn't influenced my buying, but this year it may.

@mousiegirl  There comes a time that the light goes off for all of us. :-)

Super Contributor

@Mominohio  That is brilliant and I will definitely incorporate your method.  My biggest storage problem is the 7.5' artificial tree.  It's beautiful and I love it, but 10 months out of 12, it's in the way, no matter where I put it.