Honored Contributor

@itsmetoo wrote:

If you are close enough that they were guests in your house then I'm not quite sure why you are hestitant to ask them if anyone picked it up by mistake. I would never be offended if asked that.  Everyone understands 'stuff' happens.  I hope you find it!

I agree, if people were close enough to open gifts on Christmas with you, you should be able to put out the word to have them check their packages for it.

Don't go out and buy one just yet, as it will probably show up. If no one finds they accidentally took it home, you can always go buy another one next week or so, and if you don't want your son to know you 'lost' it, you can always say you 'found' it if he asks about it later.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@itsmetoo wrote:

If you are close enough that they were guests in your house then I'm not quite sure why you are hestitant to ask them if anyone picked it up by mistake. I would never be offended if asked that.  Everyone understands 'stuff' happens.  I hope you find it!

I agree, if people were close enough to open gifts on Christmas with you, you should be able to put out the word to have them check their packages for it.

Don't go out and buy one just yet, as it will probably show up. If no one finds they accidentally took it home, you can always go buy another one next week or so, and if you don't want your son to know you 'lost' it, you can always say you 'found' it if he asks about it later.

@Mominohio I believe it is always better to be honest. If the writer has to buy a new one and the son asks about it, just fess up. She didn't lose it on purpose and the son will undoubtedly understand.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla

Last year after Christmas I went down to my Mom’s house. She had received a very nice blanket/throw in a color (beige) that matched her sofa. She asked me “who got me the navy blue blanket?” It was the same blanket but in a different color. I texted my sister because I figured it was from her. Guess what? It was for my nephew- and got mixed up in the wrong stack of presents. He hadn’t noticed it missing & if she hadn’t asked she would have kept it. Don’t be afraid to ask your guests. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Christmas Casualty

[ Edited ]

@Tribesters wrote:

@drizzellla

Last year after Christmas I went down to my Mom’s house. She had received a very nice blanket/throw in a color (beige) that matched her sofa. She asked me “who got me the navy blue blanket?” It was the same blanket but in a different color. I texted my sister because I figured it was from her. Guess what? It was for my nephew- and got mixed up in the wrong stack of presents. He hadn’t noticed it missing & if she hadn’t asked she would have kept it. Don’t be afraid to ask your guests. 

Thanks for the input. I suspect the one person who might have packed it away with his gifts, I know he already went through his boxes of gifts. He commented how well the jacket we bought him fit. So I suspect he would have commented about finding something that was unexpected.  I did ask via email and will wait for their replies before I buy another book.

I want to read the book - I really liked what little I did read. And we just spent another 10 minutes looking for the book again, hoping it would show up.

Honored Contributor

Trash day was Friday, I accidentally threw out a 7 dollar and change pair of Vera Wang earrings from Kohls. They were in a box with a pair of sneakers and I never realized it until I looked up my orders on their web site.

Threw out all the packing materials and never looked at the packing slip.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Trash day was Friday, I accidentally threw out a 7 dollar and change pair of Vera Wang earrings from Kohls. They were in a box with a pair of sneakers and I never realized it until I looked up my orders on their web site.

Threw out all the packing materials and never looked at the packing slip.

Oh, Greeneyedlady - sorry to hear that. Vera Wang earrings - really sorry to hear that.

But that is what we suspect happened to the book. The book went out with the trash. I had put it back in the Barnes and Noble bag.

I asked our house guests and the person, I thought might have packed it with his stuff, said he already unpacked all his gifts and there was no book.

Respected Contributor

It's okay to ask your guests if they accidently packed the book. But to avoid the possibility of any hurt feelings, be mindful of your tone of voice when asking. If your tone is lighthearted instead of accusatory they will probably not be offended. Really hope you find the book!

Honored Contributor

the hardback book is just under $15 from both amazon and barnes and noble.

if it were me i would just order another copy or stop by a local bookstore.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

It's okay to ask your guests if they accidently packed the book. But to avoid the possibility of any hurt feelings, be mindful of your tone of voice when asking. If your tone is lighthearted instead of accusatory they will probably not be offended. Really hope you find the book!

I asked via email. I asked if they remembered seeing the book. And I got both replies and both said that they unpacked their gifts and there was no book. We have checked and checked and are back to the theory that it was thrown out.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

the hardback book is just under $15 from both amazon and barnes and noble.

if it were me i would just order another copy or stop by a local bookstore.

Thank you

My husband already ordered it. I think he feels guilty. If it was thrown out, it probably was him. He gets a big trash bag and collects all the wrapping paper and boxes.