Honored Contributor

What memory of you as a child around some holiday, do you remember?

There use to be a downtown mall, stores were located on either side of a walkway for us.  I remember my dad, taking me downtown with him, to shop for mom for Christmas.  It was a great one on one time. I guess that's why after all these years, it is a wonderful memory.  We walked out on the snow on the mall, in between the stores.  This was at night and felt magical.  I felt so special.  It was one time, being the oldest child paid off.

Regular Contributor

Re: Childhood holiday memories

I grew up in Jamaica and since it is warm all year round, I remember during a time in December when I was 5 or 6 when a bunch of us kids got up around 4 or 5am and went walking. We were just laughing, picking fruits (lots of people had fruit trees in their yard) and eating them. Then we stop by my grandaunt's house and she gave us hot chocolate.  It was such a carefree moment.

Honored Contributor

Holiday gatherings were just an excuse for everyone to voice their grievances...........OK........downright yelling and screaming FIGHTS.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Going downtown to see the window displays, the Christmas parade (met the Osmond Brothers there one year) and of course Mr. Jingeling and his magic keys.  Great memories.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Holiday gatherings were just an excuse for everyone to voice their grievances...........OK........downright yelling and screaming FIGHTS.

Yeah!   Festivus!

Honored Contributor

Planning for Christmas with my mom. We poured through cookbooks and made lists of cookies to make and menus for Christmas Eve. We loved Christmas ! ❤️🎄❤️

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Every year we'd go downtown to a Department Store known as Joske's where their upper floor was turned into a Christmas "Fantasy Land"....there were long lines but it was worth the wait.....Sadly Joske's went out of business but still a special happy memory for many of us in our city...

Image result for joskes at christmas in san antonio

Image result for joskes at christmas in san antonio

Image result for joskes fantasy land at christmas in san antonio

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

There was a big fancy department store in downtown Detroit called Hudson's.  They had a huge display at Christmas time.  My parents would drive us kids downtown (dressed up, of course) to shop and visit Santa at Hudson's.  We took surface streets because it was before the highway was built.  The elevators in the store had the accordian doors with attendants running them.  We usually only did window shopping, but my mom would always buy "ribbon candy", which I remember was very pretty, but not all tht tasty. 

Honored Contributor

So many wonderful things. Decorating the tree, helping to make and decorate cookies, the beautiful window displays at department stores, 

dinners with the best homemade food, and going to the mailbox to bring in the cards our family would receive. Nothing was more fun than being a kid at the holidays. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  How wonderful.