Honored Contributor

I find myself going down memory lane more and more as I get older. This time it was the Easter's of my childhood. I was an only child ( don't feel bad , I liked it ) and even in the extended family for years I was the only kid. Therefore I scored many Easter baskets. I remember Fanny Farmer chocolate eggs, they were delicious. The baskets were lavish and memorable. My dog Angel had her own Easter basket that she searched for, and found. We never knew till much later that chocolate could be deadly for dogs. Luckily my girl lived to be 18, we were fortunate. My mom loved hats , so she and I always got new outfits and hats for Easter Sunday. When I outgrew baskets, my mom made a tray with Easter grass and loaded it with candy , that was dessert.  That was long , long ago, but it's a nice memory. For all of you that celebrate, Happy Easter 🐇 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1 Ahh, loved your post. It has been a goal of mine to host Easter's that the children in the family will remember forever. Your post reminded me of something from many years ago...............

My nephew went to an elementary school a town away from ours. I ran into somebody once, can't remember where or why, but we got to talking and I realized her child went to school with my nephew. When I told her his name she said, "oh my gosh, YOU are the one that goes all out for Christmas and Easter". Evidently the kids had some kind of writing assignment and my nephew wrote about my Easter's. I didn't even know this lady. I read his essay and it brought happy tears to my eyes.

Enjoy your time with your loved ones. 

Honored Contributor

@cjm61 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 Ahh, loved your post. It has been a goal of mine to host Easter's that the children in the family will remember forever. Your post reminded me of something from many years ago...............

My nephew went to an elementary school a town away from ours. I ran into somebody once, can't remember where or why, but we got to talking and I realized her child went to school with my nephew. When I told her his name she said, "oh my gosh, YOU are the one that goes all out for Christmas and Easter". Evidently the kids had some kind of writing assignment and my nephew wrote about my Easter's. I didn't even know this lady. I read his essay and it brought happy tears to my eyes.

Enjoy your time with your loved ones. 

@cjm61 , My mom made all holidays memorable , and that's a blessing. Your nephew is lucky, Happy Easter.  🌺

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

It was a much simpler time. Our confirmations took place on Palm Sunday so I remember those and the dinners afterwards (at what was then called supper clubs or banquet halls). Easter dinners were homemade meals - people didn't do brunch like they do now. 

Super Contributor

My mom used to get a family photo done of us for Easter.  She bought me a new dress and my dad and brother new shirts.  Usually we had a color theme.  One year everyone wore a lilac purple color.  Another year it was yellow and another it was light green.  I loved my Easter dresses, but my favorite was the shoes. 

I have wide feet and they are hard to fit.  So the shoes were only for the picture usually because to walk in them was painful.  I have photos of me in white patent leather mary janes that I only wished I could have worn every Sunday to church.

Easter back then (1970's) was during "Easter vacation", I got to go visit my grandparents then.  That meant flying on a plane to San Diego and spending the week at the beach. 

One particular memory for me was waking up to the heavenly smell of chocolate.  Upon opening my eyes, I saw a huge basket by the bed loaded with all the chocolately goodness I hardly ever got at home. My mom was a 70's health food "nut" and chocolate was not in her vocabulary!  LoL

Honored Contributor

My memories of Easter: black patent leather shoes, a flowery dressy dress, a blue or pink topper (jacket), a lovely straw purse and of course a sweet Easter bonnet.  Also my father always gave my sister and I a Lily plant and the best Easter basket filled with all sorts of candy and a solid chocolate bunny!!!!  I visited my grandmothers, my Sicilian and Slovak back rounds, the food so delicious at both homes!!!!!

Happy blessed Easter  and Passover to all!

Honored Contributor

For sure I did not like the new Easter outfits with hats and white gloves we got every year.  After church we had to get our pictures taken posing holding out our skirts.  My sister and I just hated that!!!  Luckily we were allowed to change to go to our grandmothers to eat and visit.  We did always get great baskets with toys and candy.  I remember immediately opening up all my marshmellow peeps and setting them out to harden.  Sadly, they do not harden anymore!!   

Respected Contributor

I love this post, @QVCkitty1 . I was thinking this week about shopping for our Easter outfits. We always had to cover our heads for Mass and used the veil lace caps usually but, on Easter Sunday, mama always bought us hats. Hats and white gloves and a brand new frou-frou dress and a new handbag that held who knows what. What could a child carry in her bag? We always got an Easter basket filled with yummy things, always a big chocolate bunny, Peeps, Whoppers, jelly beans, and our favorite filled egg. Mine was the fruit & nut egg. After Mass, mama would start cooking after hiding the decorated eggs in the yard to keep us entertained and work off some of that candy energy. She would hide & rehide all day long until the shells were all cracked, then make egg salad for sandwiches. We never had much, very hard working parents, and I thought we had the world!

Honored Contributor

Easters were fun back in the day!  We got to color lots and lots of eggs!  Of course, back then eggs were not very expensive and we all ate a lot of eggs!  The Easter Bunny would hide them all over our yard for us to find if the weather was good, and if not, the Easter Bunny would hide them all over the house.  We each got a nice basket filled with a good sized chocolate bunny, small foil covered eggs, peeps, jelly beans and, of course a stuffed rabbit!  Mom and Dad made a nice ham dinner for several family members with all the trimmings!  Those were wonderful times.  I am glad I have those memories!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Thank you-lovely post!  I had forgotten all about the Fanny Farmer eggs- yum!  I love the idea of an Easter tray as a dessert-excellent!  I grew up in Western NY and we often had cold Easter days but we always wore a beautiful Easter ensemble complete with dress, coat, hat, purse and white gloves.  Happy memories ❤️