Valued Contributor

Can you add flocking/snow to Christmas garland and pics?

Has anyone ever added snow or flocking to holiday garland?  I have Valerie's jingle bell garland and pics which I love, but the snow falls off every time I handle them.  Can I replace it with fake snowflakes from the craft store and a little hair spray?  Has anyone ever tried it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Can you add flocking/snow to Christmas garland and pics?

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Has anyone ever added snow or flocking to holiday garland?  I have Valerie's jingle bell garland and pics which I love, but the snow falls off every time I handle them.  Can I replace it with fake snowflakes from the craft store and a little hair spray?  Has anyone ever tried it?

@Beauty Maven  I don't see why not.

Respected Contributor

Try it first someplace outdoors where any breeze is blocked just in case it’s messy!

Respected Contributor

@Beauty Maven @SunValley @mousiegirl I'm curious on why you would use hairspray?  

I was thinking some sort of spray glue and then throw the "snow"  on top of where you sprayed the glue. 

I've always wanted to add flocking to garland, but didn't know if anyone had any luck with doing it.  If you end up doing it, please post a before/after picture if possible. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@Beauty Maven @SunValley @mousiegirl I'm curious on why you would use hairspray?  

I was thinking some sort of spray glue and then throw the "snow"  on top of where you sprayed the glue. 

I've always wanted to add flocking to garland, but didn't know if anyone had any luck with doing it.  If you end up doing it, please post a before/after picture if possible. 

@CAcableGirl2  I bet there is a vide on this, google how to flock a garland.

Esteemed Contributor

I think I'm the Queen of Flock. 

You should be able to spray your piece with a light hand and outdoors if possible on a dry day. Much like spray paint, better to work in thin coats and build up.

Hairspray isn't a bad idea but be aware it may speed up the yellowing of the flocking.

Frequent Contributor

@Beauty Maven wrote:

Yes you can and yes I have.  The spray flock works much better then the bag snow.  Once you've sprayed it on to your liking then let dry for a bit then spray the hair spray.  I did go one step further and used a can of clear spray paint for glitter to keep everything on.  I hope you find a method that works for you.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you @Gran Gran of two -- I appreciate the advice.  I'll report back on the results.

Valued Contributor

Thank you @mousiegirl -- I will google.

Valued Contributor

Thanks @CAcableGirl2 -- I was thinking of using hairspray as glue.  I'm not a crafter, so I'm unfamiliar with crafting spray-glue.  I need to educate myself!