Honored Contributor

CUTE VALENTINE FIND AT JOANN'S

[ Edited ]

17770702.jpg

Sorry, don't know why it's such a "sprawling" image!  This heart shaped cocotte (little ceramic baking dish) from Joann's comes in either ombre red, or ombre pink.   I'd almost be tempted to use it as a candy dish, it's so cute! It's under $8.00, I believe.

A couple of other petite items I've been meaning to mention, but aren't "holiday"--

I love the little personal luxury of your own small water carafe at bedside.  Barski makes one that is marketed under various names-- Barski, Badash, Majestic--  but I believe it is all the same Polish glass or crystal.  Even QVC carries it, the Badash Crystal Long Island Desk Carafe Set  H330460.  See how the little water glass fits inside.

41GZsiGfshL._AC_.jpg

It's cute -- only about 7 inches tall, but very heavy and substantial.  Unlike many other water carafes, the glass fits inside the carafe, instead of outside--  therefore, you don't get the "dribbling" you otherwise would when you fit it back on.  Ingenious!   I've had mine for quite a while, and love it.  It looks elegant on a small tray on a night stand or on a desk.   Some people decant their mouthwash into the carafe, and keep it for mouthwash in the bathroom--  swank!

One of the reviews on Amazon, I think, said that they saw a similar or identical water carafe on a night stand in a European movie, and it looked so cool!   Sometimes I like heavy cut glass, but this time the pared down elegant lines of this carafe really appealed to me...

This last item is only for the "modernists".   I always am on the lookout for modern or midcentury accessories, to mix in with my antiques for a more "eclectic" look.   For some reason, I don't like an all-vintage, nor an all-modern look, but must have a mix of both.

An ancient small accent lamp that we have was always tipping, much to hubby's annoyance. Recently I found a repro of a well-known, sort of iconic midcentury modern lamp, in the Walmart lamp aisle, one of my new favorite places, ha!   In this Walmart photo, the tan accents on the lamp are more prominent than mine-- mine is mostly cream, with the slightest hint of beige "outlining".

Screenshot_2021-01-15 Mainstays Cream Sculptured Base Ceramic Table Lamp, 16 75 H - Walmart com(1).png

It's only 16 and 3/4 inches high, the Mainstays Cream Sculptured Base Ceramic Table Lamp,  and it is almost identical to a much more expensive, larger lamp made in the midcentury modern style.  Chunky base and no tipping!  A bonus with it is, that in addition to mixing in a bit of modern, it brings interesting texture, something I'm always looking to introduce...

Edited to add--  I had the wrong item number on the carafe!   Fixed it.

Honored Contributor

Re: CUTE VALENTINE FIND AT JOANN'S

@Oznell I love the heart shaped pot. Love ombre pink.

Honored Contributor

When a recipe calls for ramekin bakers, should that heart shaped baker work?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am really attracted to small things like these. I love the cocotte but really have no use for it and the carafe is very nice. 

Honored Contributor

Great items, Oznell!  I subscribe to HGTV magazine and they dedicate a couple of pages to expensive items  and items which are very similar which are less expensive.  Often I like the items which cost less.  As I have said before it is fun to shop at different stores for unique items which are affordable.

Many years ago I did a lot of treasure hunting at antique stores, garage sales, flea markets and various outlets.  The fun was discovering a piece I loved and finding a place for it in my home.  While I no longer go on these sprees, I still admore my buys!

Honored Contributor

Good question, @AuntG .  It would be my assumption also that it would work like a ramekin.  The little description on the "Joann's" online site, suggests that you bake in it, so I think they'd function the same.

Honored Contributor

Ah, @spiderw ,  the thrill of the hunt...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

This is a Blenko water caraffe.  They are from a high group of artists in the Applachians and the liquid glass is still poured into the large 100+ year old forms.  The seam is visable down both sides.  In an array of colors. Often given as wedding gifts, they have set the standard!

You might prefer these in stead of machine made.

I would consider the large an "average size", the small is indeed small, your open hand would cover the body.  They are made in the same exact steps as they were 100+ years ago.

Call The Folk Art Center, Asheville, NC.

See the source image

Honored Contributor

Oh, definitely, @ECBG , as a midcentury fan, I've always loved the retro shapes and gorgeous colors of Blenko!

I tend to have enough colored glass in my arsenel now, (and continue to purge all but the essentials), but if I were starting at the beginning, I'd be very tempted to collect Blenko.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, definitely, @ECBG , as a midcentury fan, I've always loved the retro shapes and gorgeous colors of Blenko!

I tend to have enough colored glass in my arsenel now, (and continue to purge all but the essentials), but if I were starting at the beginning, I'd be very tempted to collect Blenko.  

@Oznell 

I'm afraid you and I would never get out of the Folk Art Center. 

You wouldn't probably be able to eat when they fill the civic center with their 4 day craft show!

I can see where you need to plan a vacation because we are the art hub of the Appalachian Mountains.  

I'll get us lunch reservations in the 125+ old houses!

See the source image