Honored Contributor

Re: COFFEE TABLE "SCAPES"-- WHAT'S YOUR STYLE?

Usually there are three things on my coffee table (right now I have a ghost, a pumpkin and a Halloween themed candy dish). A candy dish is a must for guests because if I take it away, they ask "where is the candy?"

Honored Contributor

Love all the variety.  Those who have posted pictures, thanks also.  the light shining through your glass pumpkin, @homedecor1, and onto your autumnal colors so pretty...

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate my coffee table, sofa tables and fireplace/mantle seasonally......doesn't get boring for me this way.

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate them. I only have an end table. I put a my drinks etc. on it. I don't put a coffee table infront of the seating.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@OKPrincess

What beautiful kitties!  They remind me of my sweet cat Frack who was my companion until kittyheaven wanted more.  He always knew when I'd be getting ready to travel & would sit in the suitcase -- guess he wanted to come😺

5B7ACA1F-BBB2-4362-A9C3-0A233412A0E1.jpeg T

Thank you for sharing...

@homedecor1  Years ago when we actually went on vacations, and I had cats, one would get in the suitcase and go to sleep, lol, still miss that angel after decades.

Honored Contributor

I forgot to describe mine, ha.  I described part of it in some other thread before, but have tweaked since then.

At one end, I still have the layered trays to give a "silver/gold" two tone effect.  A larger, zinc-colored tray with antiqued mirror bottom, and a smaller, vintage Swedish brass tray on top.  On them I have one russet ceramic pumpkin, and a few pods, nuts, pine cones scattered.  Also two chunky, short "gold" candlesticks holding glass votives with a small votive flameless candle in each.

At the other end of the coffee table, I have my beloved Wedgwood creamware pitcher-- it's the familiar one of theirs that has a raised scene of huntsmen and horses, etc.,  and a curving hound forms the handle.  The creamy color of the jug is almost the same color as the table.  Around the base I have a few twisted, grapevine type things...

This is my "fall" look but am already kind of interested in Christmas vignettes, thanks to Valerie, gack.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to look at the displays, but I'm also a minimalist. I don't like layers of things or lots of do-dads displayed on my cocktail table. It has gorgeous inlaid wood with a glass center so it's pretty all by itself. 

The only thing I add to it is a statement piece of round pottery with fall leaves displayed inside of it. A friend of mine made the pottery bowl, & it's so beautiful. Add to it a bunch of Fall leaves, & I'm in heaven. 

I have animals, so I have to clean/dust A LOT. I don't like layers of things I have to pick up & dust under. I wish I didn't have to dust at all....don't enjoy it! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I'm sitting here laughing .... you should see my coffee table!  The "scape" is "early clutter."  What's really funny is that I straightened it up and this is an improvement over what it looked like last week!  

Actually, organized clutter.  There's a stack of 7 books at one corner with a stuffed leopard sitting on top.  Next corner has another stack of books with a "gold" plate sitting on top.   There's also a rather large leather elephant wearing a crocheted saddle blanket, and a wooden statue that my folks bought in Japan ... about 12" tall man carrying something.

Also on table is oriental vase with long wooden afghan crochet hooks rather than flowers.  A stack of about a dozen coloring books, to index card boxes and some various other odds and ends.  There's some other stuff - but I won't bore you with the details.  It's a fairly big coffee table, almost as long as the couch.

My father used to say that my mother and I had a fear empty surfaces .. we stack stuff everywhere!  Half my family was/is minimalist.  The rest of us were/are "maximumists."

Honored Contributor

I like the sophisticated quirkiness of your arrangements, @ALRATIBA,  plus your sense of humor about it all.

And stacks of books, a good deal of the time, are for me a coffee table "essential"--  besides adding warmth, color and interest.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA. You made me smile.  Thank you.  I can be a "maximist" too.  My family was also "half and half" but I'm better than I used to be at clearing off surfaces of miscellaneous stuff.  But it is a never ending battle.  My home definitely looks "lived in."

Housekeeping is like gardening--there's nothing wrong with weeds or stuff UNTIL they are out of place.

Right now my coffee table is a bit of a mess but it will get cleared before my bedtime.  At least I always have a clean kitchen and bathroom.  Can't stand chaos in those two rooms, but in the kitchen I'm always looking for ways to be better organized.

aroc3435