Honored Contributor

Re: COFFEE TABLE "SCAPES"-- WHAT'S YOUR STYLE?

I like your fresh elements, (real pumpkins and gourds) @Marsha2003, and your inclusion of a candle, @Catiele.  I love to have something fresh, and also almost always have a romantic candle or two going...

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @OKPrincess, 'live cat decor', very important!  We have three cats, two of whom like to precariously wend their way through my pesky decor on the table.  Otherwise, I'm sure they'd like to stretch out.  Miraculously, they almost never knock anything over....

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Gosh, no.   Sounds like my mother's world.  First, my coffee and end tables are glass and beautiful, I wouldn't want to cover them up and I went with glass tables to "open up" my livingroom and add light.  I have a big round coffee table and I have one distinctive piece on it.  A focal point, I think you can call it.  Right now, it's a big glass that is filled with silk Autumn leaves.  I do change it every season.

@chrystaltree  It isn't your mom's world.  Any decorating magazine that I get has "things" on the coffee tables.  It seems to be one of the prime places to personalize your house. 

Usually a few books and an "objet" like your glass bowl or two but not filled with stuff.  Yours sounds wonderful! 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Ha, ha, @OKPrincess, 'live cat decor', very important!  We have three cats, two of whom like to precariously wend their way through my pesky decor on the table.  Otherwise, I'm sure they'd like to stretch out.  Miraculously, they almost never knock anything over....

My coffee table is really a launching pad. Telling the boys  to “walk not run” falls on deaf ears. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m eclectic, to say the least.

Right now on my round, walnut, antique coffee table... well I should explain it WAS a small dining table with one damaged leg, I found in a parking lot.  I had the legs leveled to coffee table height, and hand polished it myself.  

Ok, on it this moment is a bowl of pre-WWII hand painted fruit I found in a flea market in Italy,  a round, celadon bowl full of stones; when I travel I bring home a stone that attracts me from each country, then I write the country name and the date of first visit on it.  A 7” round, crystal, carved globe that came from some where, I know not where, and a small, seal point Siamese named Phineas (Finn).  He moves about at will.

This changes on whim, except the celadon bowl usually stays.

Interesting topic @Oznell !

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

I love fresh flowers and especially fresh fruit (like Granny Smith apples) in gorgeous cut glass bowls on my coffee tables. I also love beautiful decorator books and candles.

We just received our new French country coffee table this week for our living room.....so exciting!

Honored Contributor

My style is Valerie Parr Hill (French Country/English Garden).

I have a wooden coffee table and I ususally put a few seasonal decorations on it (although my cats dictate minimal decor since that's a place sometimes they like to use it to stretch out on and survey their kingdom).Cat LOL

Usually its a small seasonal flower arrangement, and a couple of complimentary decor accents......

Autumn- Right now it's a Valerie Parr Hill Autumn Hurricane with a flameless candle inside, and two wooden pumpkins on either side.

Christmas-- its usually a large candle ring with a Red Luminara candle and either a Jim Shore Christmas piece (might be an Angel, OR Santa, OR Snowman, or Rudolph) OR could be Valerie Parr Hill deer.

Summer- Just an arrangement of Sunflowers

Spring-Spring flower arrangement and a Jim Shore Easter Basket and mini Jim Shore Bunny

Sometimes I just use Valerie Parr Hill Mercury Candle Pedestals with candle rings and Luminara candles............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

@Oznell We have a coffee table in the den where we spend a large majority of the time. I have nothing on the coffee table because most usually there’s a cat stretched out on it.

@OKPrincess

My cats like to use my coffee table to stretch out too..............Cat LOLCat Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

DH made our coffee table.  It is wood stained natural cherry with two drawers that are glassed topped. I've placed wheat like stems that are a soft beach grass green in the drawers. 

As the seasons change, what I place on top changes.  Right now I have a mini peace lily in a white G. Wolff planter, four candles and a leaf shaped plate with some beach stones from Lake Michigan.

I like serene and meaningful things in my home.

Thanks for letting me share. 

This is a fun and interesting topic.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm enjoying reading these descriptions.  Reading the posts about cats on coffee tables made me think of this picture I posted on the Pet Lovers forum a little over a year ago when I got my kitten.  He loved the raku bowl on my coffee table and would get in it frequently!  He's too big to do that now.

On the other side of the table I have three books with a Lampe Berger, a Caithness glass paperweight and another small glass piece on top.

fullsizeoutput_ea.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau