Occasional Contributor

I have always enjoyed CIJ but can't really find much that is new.  There are a lot of items shown that are now discounted that were available last XMas season.  Tired of the throw blankets--I guess they have taken the place of all of the lanterns from last year.  Even David's big XMas was a dud.  Bought a few things from last year that I liked that were overpriced then and are now on clearance.  I guess I'll see what next week has.

Trusted Contributor

Re: CIJ Not What it Used to Be

Welcome to the Boards!

I have to agree with you ---  I have always looked forward to and LOVED watching CIJ.  I remember a time when I wanted everything that was being offered.  Things seemed fun, new, and unique.  However, this year it definitely seems like a lot of the same old stuff.  I know they sprinkle in clearance items here and there, but CIJ was always supposed to be about their newest holiday offerings at a better price than what it could be purchased for in the fall. 

I am still recording and forwarding through the shows though.  Although I don't need anything and I haven't purchased anything, I still like to see what they have.  I agree about David's show though.  It wasn't nearly as good as it always is. Maybe their newer holiday items will be shown in the fall.

I'm more looking forward to their Harvest and Halloween programming now.  They really seem to be upping their game when it comes to Halloween in the last two years.  I have made more purchases for that holiday than anything else.

Honored Contributor

@janefromnewmexico   Hate to say it, but after years of buying and buying -  finding much that really feels new and different has gotten much harder.   Pick any category and that feels true for me.  I'm fine with using the holiday decor I have already.  I just add appropriate flowers.

But I feel the same way about most home decor and jewelry.  I get just as much pleasure about using what I have than buying anything that's only slightly different.  As I try to make my home easier to live in, I can see that over the years I bought too many things that are really not all I thought they were when I bought them.

My feeling has little to do with just QVC.  I believe I do the majority of my shopping nowadays in supermarkets, pharmacies, or hardware stores!

Frequent Contributor

Agreed, same old same old, so boring. This year I watch very little, bought nothing

Esteemed Contributor

I only bought 2 items that I saw last yr that had sold out .  Am uneasy abt buying one of those  Christmas trees , some reviews are  all over the map .  Have  taped a few Christmas shows which I fast forwarded through  to see what was new .

Respected Contributor

I think that QVC is still suffering from international supply chain issues plus some backlash from last year's advanced orders that were shipped very late or not shipped at all.  That said, I agree that the CIJ offerings have been pretty uninspiring to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

I agree. Even the new items are in many cases exact items from past years, just given a new item number and new price.  

I have noticed that trend over the past five or so years, at least, but this year almost everything new is a repeat.

It has reached the point for me that I am not watching any shows, even Valerie's, which have always been my favorite. 
I definitely do not need anything holiday themed, but I have always looked forward to CIJ and to what special, unique things might appear.  
Hoping next year will be better.  

Esteemed Contributor

@janefromnewmexico  Agreed that there are not many, if any, truly new items. I am seeing some things I missed last year, and that's a good thing. As I recall, there was a similar scenario last year. They eventually got around to really new items, but some of them didn't appear until late Fall. I'm still watching and enjoying the decorations.

Honored Contributor

CIJ is not what it used to be, and I think for a number of reasons. 

First, QVC is just beginning to get vendors back in the studio. That was always a big reason why I watched and shopped Q. I like the vendors there, I like to see every offering of the product 'in person', not just a picture on the screen. CIJ isn't the same without Valerie in the studio, and I'm surprised they didn't bring her in for at least some of it this year.

Supply chain is awful the last couple of years. So many things they used to offer in the food items in decorative tins, like Harry London candy, Russell Stover candy, My Grandma's coffee cakes, etc now come in boxes only. The giftability of those things is greatly diminished for me, without all the nice tins. The variety of things offered in general is down. The number of colors things are offered in are fewer. The total number of things available seems less. 

Quality is down. This has been happening across the board for years now, and not just at the Q, but it definitely takes away the magic of the event.

Style is just not what I'm looking for. Vendors like VPH used to have such classic and traditional things in the line, and it's become a whole lot of gingerbread themed things, and not really very nice ones at that, but juvenile looking. Back in the day, she had such beautiful things, but things now are just kind of boring.

I'm aging out of buying holiday and even seasonal decor. I have tons, more than I need. I see very little every year that I'd consider bringing into my home, even if it was free, because I just don't care for the style or feel like looking for a place to put it.

I still tune in and enjoy the shows, but for me, it just isn't what it used to be either.