Regular Contributor

CIJ Glitter, Glitter, Glitter!

Why, oh why, is everything coated in glitter??? While I like glitter, it gets EVERYWHERE and because I have two cats, I do not use decor with glitter. It gets on their paws, and then they consume it when grooming themselves. And, yes, i vacuum but...it's glitter and it travels all by itself. I've bought nothing because of the glitter. I so wish the vendors would either eliminate the glitter or offer a choice without glitter. On the bright side, I've saved money! 😂 Am I alone in my aversion to glitter? What are your thoughts?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: CIJ Glitter, Glitter, Glitter!

there were some Mr Christmas decorations that did not have glitter on them

Honored Contributor

@RJGeorgia 

No. you are not alone, I absolutely hate glitter for many reasons, including the one you cited, as well as breathing tiny flecks of it into the lungs of humans.

I avoid anything with glitter, even greeting cards, which sometimes is very hard to do, but I do it!

In stores during the holidays, I'm very careful not to touch or even walk too close to stuff covered in glitter as it manages to find me and cling to my skin, clothes, etc., LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I love glitter but I keep my Christmas decorations forever and glitter isn't permanent. It makes the things impossible to keep cleaned. I usually keep my decorations up for Thanksgiving weekend through the first week in January. Dusting them during that time over and over through the years will surely remove the glitter. I think a sparkly Christmas is nice, just not for the way I use my decorations.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a glitter person either.  I do enjoy the sparkle of Christmas but feel it can be accomplished without the mess of glitter everywhere.   When we downsized I donated every Christmas decoration with glitter on it.  The worst piece was a VPH garland for the mantle which ended up being a glittery disaster!

Honored Contributor

i also dislike glitter and will not have it in the house.  I've noticed Valerie is obsessed with it.  Funny - on the Luminara show yesterday, one candle in each three-piece set was glittery.  The host gushed over how pretty it was while the product rep stressed - more than once - that the glitter was embedded in the wax and would not come off.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind some glittery items....but it seemed most of her things had glittler.

I don't want it all over the house....

Esteemed Contributor

some people love glitter on all their decorations, because of how it looks. We bought a Christmas tree that was flocked a few years ago and the glitter was everywhere! We gave it away within one season. I couldn't stand finding glitter months after the holiday. It sticks to everything. I noticed that a lot of Valeries items have glitter on them. Though I like her items, if it says glitter, I'm out. My husband says the vacuum picks up the glitter long after we put our decorations away. 

Respected Contributor

There's no denial that glitter is beautiful under Christmas lights, but there are definitely negative issues.

I limit the number of items I purchase with glitter (only for my tree) to make it more manageable. And, I handle them carefully.

I don't exactly have an 'aversion' to glitter, but I'm in agreement that, everything does NOT need to be covered in glitter. With glitter, less is more.

Regular Contributor

Glitter definitely has an aesthetic that many people love. I love it but in moderation because of the mess and the difficulty of dusting such items.  

My husband did find a clear (acrylic?) spray that he has used on some of my items to seal in the glitter.  I liked the results.

~Quack