Occasional Contributor

CI Lanterns..They could have just told her the truth....

I can't believe they just mislead a caller. This lady just called in and said she inteneded to hang these lanterns on each side of her door. The Host never said.. THESE CANNOT BE HUNG. They told the lady (that purhased 2) that they were very heavy and she may want to consider using them in a different way. Never not to hang these. I feel this was midleading by not coming out and telling her they could not be used in this mannor. 

Respected Contributor

Re: CI Lanterns..They could have just told her the truth....

[ Edited ]

I had the opposite reaction when I heard this. I think they told the truth without being rude by saying they were quite heavy. Rather than telling the caller what to do by saying not to hang them (which may be construed as rude), the host said the lanterns are heavy and the caller may want to consider sitting them on either side of the shed entry. 

Eta: agree, they cannot be hung. 

Occasional Contributor

The manuel states  directly they cannot be hung form the ring. 

NOTE: 1. Non-Removable plastic cover on the switch is for water resistant purposes.

2. Ring on the top of the lantern is for decoration only. Do not handle or hang lantern by the ring.

Occasional Contributor

sorry manual...

Super Contributor

The vendor said they were heavy and it wouldn't be a good idea to hang them.  Best to place them on the ground or to use them elsewhere.  Customer thanked her for that info.

Occasional Contributor

And by your statement, you also did not get the direct warning in the manual that this cannot be hung.... so I am sure others may assume they could be also..

The statement "Do not hang or cannot not be hung"  is important. especially since it is expensive to send back.

Contributor

Thank you for this information. I did read this ,in the pdf manual. It does say,do not hang. This is important to know.
Honored Contributor

@cookie16@simplyloganI'm glad the caller seems to have gotten the message from the vendor and then should see the info again when those lanterns arrive -  unless she went back to CS and cancelled!

I know some people seem to need to be more or less hit over the head to avoid danger, but from what cookie16 said, this caller should be okay.

I'm not watching -  no idea here about how she might be able to display those lanterns.

Esteemed Contributor

@simplylogan wrote:

I can't believe they just mislead a caller. This lady just called in and said she inteneded to hang these lanterns on each side of her door. The Host never said.. THESE CANNOT BE HUNG. They told the lady (that purhased 2) that they were very heavy and she may want to consider using them in a different way. Never not to hang these. I feel this was midleading by not coming out and telling her they could not be used in this mannor. 

@simplylogan .... I have two of these & there are tags on the lanterns that clearly state the lanterns are too heavy to hang & the top hooks are for decorative purposes only  .... clear & simple!!!!!! 🙃

Respected Contributor

@simplylogan wrote:

I totally agree with you.  By saying they are very heavy, I would think it meant they "could" be hung, but only from something extremely secure.  If I had a hook in a beam, I would then think it is secure enough to hold it.  However, it is not what it is hanging from, but it is the lantern itself that is not fashioned to be hung.

Yes, they should have explained this and if they lost a few sales, then "oh well".  At least they would have been upfront with their info.