Super Contributor

Re: CHRISTMAS SONG (S )THAT MAKE YOU MELANCHOLY

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus🎅🏻!

Takes me back to my happiest time in life.  Young, innocent and protected by wonderful parents.  🎄

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" always does it for me...but I still love the song!

Years ago, on an episode of M.A.S.H, Hawkeye (Alan Alda) sang this song...it was the first time I really understood the meaning of it. Made me cry!

ETA: After reading the other responses, I just had to say--I used to love "Christmas Shoes" and it made me cry. But after listening to it a zillion times, I started thinking that maybe this little boy was running a scam with his dad. I could just see them returning several pairs of "Christmas shoes" --that others had paid for--for cash on December 26!

Valued Contributor

@Flatbush wrote:

For me, I always feel nostalgic and tear up when ever and where ever I hear, "I'll Be Home For Christmas".

So many in my family are gone and I am so far from my home and city.

How about you, do you also react with such memories?

Same for me. Perry Como comes to mind. His Christmas album is the best. 

Honored Contributor

Little Drummer Boy..........I can still hear my dad singing it to us when we were little. (sigh)

Respected Contributor

Merry Christmas Darling by Karen Carpenter.   She had such a beautiful voice.   There was a deep mournfulness in it.

"Move closer to your world my friend. Take a little bit of time"
Respected Contributor

"Blue Christmas" is mine. It always made me tear up and I never thought it was Christmas until I heard it for the first time. Funny that it never had much meaning until I lost my mother; now it really is a blue Christmas. A lot of other Christmas carols get to me, especially those by the "crooners" of the 60s because I think of those Christmases past that hold such wonderful memories. I can think of only a few gifts from Santa but I sure remember my heart being filled on Christmas mornings.

Esteemed Contributor

All of them! I literally hate Christmas music.....one of the worst things about this time of the year.

Regular Contributor

The Moody Blues singing "A Winters Tale."

lost love--always sad at Christmastime.

Melancholy is such an apt word too.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay   Especially sung by Nat King Cole.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Group 5 minus 1   @vermint 

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" is a Christmas song written by the lyricist Kim Gannon and composer Walter Kent and recorded in 1943 by Bing Crosby, ."     Many memories shared by family of  many  sons, Uncles , brothers who were all enlisted men overseas during WWII. This song is timeless .