Honored Contributor

CHANGING OUT PILLOW COVERS FOR SPRING

Do you ever switch out your pillow covers seasonally?  There are so many choices for pillow covers for sofa pillows-- can almost be overwhelming.   And some are just too expensive.

I have two sky blue velvet throw pillows on my love seat in winter.  I wanted to get some covers for warmer weather, that would be "lighter" in feeling, in cotton or linen.

Found some good choices on Amazon, and decided on these, Gigizaza Decorative Throw Pillow Covers:

7155cs4jjtL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

These zip-on covers are 80% cotton, 20% linen, fully washable and with hidden zipper.  Only $19.99 for a pair of 22 by 22 inch covers, great price for seasonal pillow covers.  Plenty of other sizes too.  (I like my pillows big.)

They come in a good selection of colors.  I chose nautical navy for spring.

Here are the available colors:

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 1.56.53 PM.png

You can put the covers over any blank pillow inserts you have, or, you can just pop them over your existing winter pillows. 

Am pleased.   Am always looking for ways to "relax" my mainly 'traditional vibe' decorating, and these covers have a tiny bit of a boho/modern feeling, with those short, fringe-y self-stripes.

A few reviews mention that some colors were unexpected-  particularly, that the so-called "coral" was more of an orange.  Buyer beware.  My pillows are navy, but they are a darker navy than I expected-- I tend to like a slightly more soft, indigo navy.  But they still look sharp. 

My three kitties can't wait to shed fur on a dark navy, but my lint roller handles that.   If I'd gone with the light blush pink, my second choice, that wouldn't be a problem...

There are so many well-priced zippered pillow covers on Amazon, a quick search can bring up tons of styles and colors.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: CHANGING OUT PILLOW COVERS FOR SPRING

I do switch things around for spring/summer and again for fall/winter. I have a settee that I cover with throws and then line the back with assorted pillows against the wall. The throws and pillows are switched out for the seasons. I change the curtains/drapes for the seasons as well, really have no idea why other than that's what my gram did and I continue that. The covers are a great idea...and the covers sure will be easier to move and store than the bins of pillows! Thank you so much @Oznell !

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

I have pillows for fall and Christmas that I change, but nothing for spring/summer.

@Oznell - I love those boho type pillow covers you chose and will look them up on Amazon. Right now I have neutral taupe on my sofa and club chairs and was thinking of getting new lighter colors for spring.  You gave me the idea to just get covers instead.  Thanks!

@We rescue cats - When I was a child, I remember my mom changing the drapes and adding matching slipcovers for spring/summer to a pretty yellow floral.  Nice memories.

Super Contributor

I switch out everything from the pillows, pictures on the wall, candle scents, bedding and dishes.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Do you ever switch out your pillow covers seasonally?  There are so many choices for pillow covers for sofa pillows-- can almost be overwhelming.   And some are just too expensive.

I have two sky blue velvet throw pillows on my love seat in winter.  I wanted to get some covers for warmer weather, that would be "lighter" in feeling, in cotton or linen.

Found some good choices on Amazon, and decided on these, Gigizaza Decorative Throw Pillow Covers:

7155cs4jjtL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

These zip-on covers are 80% cotton, 20% linen, fully washable and with hidden zipper.  Only $19.99 for a pair of 22 by 22 inch covers, great price for seasonal pillow covers.  Plenty of other sizes too.  (I like my pillows big.)

They come in a good selection of colors.  I chose nautical navy for spring.

Here are the available colors:

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 1.56.53 PM.png

You can put the covers over any blank pillow inserts you have, or, you can just pop them over your existing winter pillows. 

Am pleased.   Am always looking for ways to "relax" my mainly 'traditional vibe' decorating, and these covers have a tiny bit of a boho/modern feeling, with those short, fringe-y self-stripes.

A few reviews mention that some colors were unexpected-  particularly, that the so-called "coral" was more of an orange.  Buyer beware.  My pillows are navy, but they are a darker navy than I expected-- I tend to like a slightly more soft, indigo navy.  But they still look sharp. 

My three kitties can't wait to shed fur on a dark navy, but my lint roller handles that.   If I'd gone with the light blush pink, my second choice, that wouldn't be a problem...

There are so many well-priced zippered pillow covers on Amazon, a quick search can bring up tons of styles and colors.  

interesting idea, the current trend is to themed pillows and I think that is too cutesy, these look nice

Honored Contributor

@Oznell The only thing I switch out seasonally is maybe putting on a lighter cover on our bed in the hot summer.  Other than that, I don't do seasonal decor at all.

I have things the way I want them, and just don't have any desire to change it around.  

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I don't have any pillow covers...just pillows and I used to change them out more than I do now. Our home is mostly in pastels and I have a more difficult time changing things out seasonally.

I do think this is such a creative way of freshening things up. 

Honored Contributor

I have the exact pillows shown in the picture in the large 18" squares.  Mine are a dusty aqua blue.  I have four of them.  They're washable and have held up well. I bought them at my local MY HOME store.

I never change them out, but I do have other seasonal pillows that I change...thanks for the reminder.  I have some that would look great for the Easter holiday season.

Honored Contributor

I don't have pillow covers, but I have pillows and throws that I switch out. I use dark brown and burgundy pillows & throws in the fall and winter. For spring & summer I have throws & pillows in ivory, yellow, and green. I have solid and printed pillows and throws. 

Respected Contributor

I started buying pillow covers instead of pillows several years ago.  I change them seasonally and for some holidays.  Right now, I have some Easter ones out.  After Easter, I'll change over to the ones that I will use throughout the spring and summer.  I have some velvet ones that I use in the autumn and winter and some Christmas plaid ones.  I will be moving to a different house soon and downsizing significantly, so I may give up seasonal decorating or at least pare way back.