Honored Contributor

Re: CASA ZETA-JONES PRETTY APOTHECARY JAR SENT ME ON A QUEST

I am currently using a big old antique blanket chest as a coffee table in front of my new leather sofa. I have plenty of room for any size candy dish, I did buy the CZJ dish in the ruby red color awhile back. I have a clear class vintage candy dish from my MIL and that one is large too, I like the small one you posted though.

Esteemed Contributor

. The Casa Zeta-Jones candy dish looks line one I received as a wedding gift 55 years ago!

I have a Waterford sectional one and my grandmother’s that she used at Christmas, she always had hard candy,peppermints and butter mints in it. 

The ones I use most were my mother’s. They are on shelves in my den. One always has M & Ms and the other jelly beans.

Respected Contributor

@OznellI like yours so much better than CZJ's.  Hers reminds me of a spaceship from a 1950s movie.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @vsm.  In fairness, the photo of the C.Z.-J. one that I posted isn't that good, for some reason. When you watch the video of it, the "space craft" feeling is far less, and it just looks beautiful and sparkly, to me at least.  I have noticed that alot of the vintage lids have very prominent, elongated knobs on top, furthering the sci fi overtone you've picked up on!

Respected Contributor

@bikerbabe   I too have some depression glass...pink dogwood.  When I think that it's nearly 100 years old, it boggles the mind!

I collected it in the early 80's when I had more antiques in the house.  Now my style is more black/white, velvet, chenille, and sparkly items.  All that glass is in the garage in storage, but I don't think I will ever get rid of it.  

Maybe someday, when I'm retired and have downsized to my "forever" home, I might pull it out and display it.  

As for storing candy, that's in Waterford biscuit barrels. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I love antiques and browsing shops when we go day trips.  Seems there are  always those little hidden awAy shops along the way when taking the scenic route.   I have collected many Nipon  pieces,  candy dishes footed and none footed .  I especially love the Nipon Asian pieces and always keep an eye out for them.  Have display plates, Asian figurines, pitchers , tea sets and ginger jars.    Have them displayed altogether in one curio.  We have one room dedicated to Asian decor.   I notice  in many of the old movies on TCM  I see a lot of Asian decor like lamps,  ginger  jars etc.  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Little story:   I realized the other day-- with various "candy holidays" on the horizon-- I don't have a candy dish with lid-- the old-fashioned kind, in either cut glass or pressed glass.  The Casa Zeta-Jones illuminated cut glass apothecary is large and striking.  Its alternate function, other than being lit, is to be a covered candy dish. 

But it was too big for my purposes.  I needed something small, vintage, that wouldn't crowd my coffee or end table.

Thrift and antique stores are always overflowing with vintage lidded glass or crystal candy jars-- they fell out of favor for a long while.  So I went to my local antiques cooperative, and found many vintage (Fifties' maybe?  Some were Art Deco, and even earlier) examples.  I got this one (the picture I'm showing isn't mine, I got it from Etsy-- but it's the identical jar.)

il_fullxfull.1826943559_q983.jpg

I like that though small and "non-footed",  it's chock full of familiar pressed glass patterns--- there's a crossed bar design, a daisy design, a Star of David design, and those little thumb-print depressions all around the rim.  I couldn't wait--  bought candy and filled it immediately with creamy wrapped caramels and fruity gummy worms, ha.

AND,  I got it for four dollars!  I'm putting it out on a side table with my one other vintage pressed glass item-- a clear English hobnail glass footed ivy bowl.

Are you ever inspired by Q or other online or catalog items to find something locally that you need?  

@Oznell 

I love your jar....I found a beautiful antique glass candy dish at a unique shop that has a ẃonderful variety of merchandise 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”