Honored Contributor

candlemas-day-640x514.jpg

Traditionally, Candlemas, occurring roughly 40 days after Christmas, marks the end of "Christmastide", or the seasons of Christmas and Epiphany.

Candlemas has been observed in the past by lighting all the candles in the house!  Or at least a few, as it's a day of renewal and hope.

It was a day when weather predictions were made.  Old English song:

"If Candlemas be fair and bright,
 Come winter, have another flight;
 If Candlemas bring clouds and rain,
 Go winter, and come not again."

The tradition of Groundhog Day grew out of this!

Snowdrops, resembling little bells, are considered to be the Candlemas flower:

Candlemas-Bells.jpg

Crepes and pancakes are the food of Candlemas.  The French serve "Crepes de la Chandeleur" on this day:

2020-02-02_RELAISDUVIN_Tout-savoir-Chandeleur.jpg

In Mexico, Candlemas is celebrated with tamales.  And sometimes hot chocolate is served:

candlemas.jpg

In general, grain-based foods are considered appropriate for the day.

Hope all who have Candlemas in their traditions have a light-filled day.

530b54127b6928ed4eb96e75.w800.jpg

Contributor

oiuRe: CANDLEMAS IS FEBRUARY 2

Thank you for sharing this.  I did not know about Candlemas.  Sounds lovely, and something that I am going to add to my observances along with Epiphany.  

Honored Contributor

Re: oiuRe: CANDLEMAS IS FEBRUARY 2

@LMinAZ wrote:

Thank you for sharing this.  I did not know about Candlemas.  Sounds lovely, and something that I am going to add to my observances along with Epiphany.  

@Oznell Yes, thank you!  This is all new info.  I like it.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: oiuRe: CANDLEMAS IS FEBRUARY 2

@Oznell - thanks for sharing about this observance.  I had not heard about it.  Tomorrow is my dear mother's birthday, so I will light a candle in her memory.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell,

Thank you and,

An early spring or six more weeks of winter?  Which will it be?  According to folklore, if it is cloudy when a groundhog emerges from its  burrow on this day, then spring will come early; if it is sunny, the  groundhog will supposedly see its shadow and retreat back into its burrow,  and the winter weather will persist for six more weeks. Groundhog Day Film, Happy Groundhog Day, Fun Trivia Questions, Mina, Happy Memorial Day, African Elephant, New Homes For Sale, Funny Signs, Best Memes

Respected Contributor

I just watched Punxsutawney Phil give his prediction on PCN and he say's 6 more weeks of winter. Good call.

Valued Contributor

As one who celebrates and appreciates the traditional significance of the day, I wish you a blessed and enlightened Candlemas. 

Such a beautiful day of light in the midst of winter.

Candlemas Quiet Day: A Feast of Light - an event from WATCH (London) -  Women and the Church

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell   Very interesting.......thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @LIG1 !