Honored Contributor

Buying Gifts and . . . Forgetting?

I'm notorious among friends and family for buying gifts and hiding them, then forgetting where I put them. My children take bets on how many Christmas gifts I'll lose. Last year I found some I wanted to put in with my friends' gifts stashed behind one of our desks!

But this year I got the bright idea to forgo gift cards for everyone except the young adults in the family. DH has 3 surviving sisters, one widowed last February, one divorced for a long time , and one never married. So I want them to have something to open. I plan to send a few gifts to his widowed brother-in-law too, but that's easy since he's the only male!  Even if we weren't in this situation I still would be mailing their gifts.

So I've been picking up things on QVC for them - personal things and useful things. DD and DH would sometimes be there late at night and comment on what I was ordering.

Now I can't remember who I decided should receive each one. And did I get this for them, or for my friends I exchange gifts with? Do I have things "hidden" that I've forgotten about?  I should have written it down! 

Has this happened to anyone else? Smiley Embarassed Smiley Wink

Frequent Contributor

Re: Buying Gifts and . . . Forgetting?

@beach-mom 

So often!...lol too many times to count and cards! I buy cards early put them somewhere that makes sense to me at the moment, be darned if I know where it is when it is time to give it...lol

Respected Contributor

What's worse is wrapping them as soon as bought, that way no one can peek, only to forget yourself what the heck you bought.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Remember when we all wore crinoline petticoats back in the 50s and 60s?  One year mother found one under her bed in July that she'd gotten my sister for Christmas. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Your story reminded me of one Christmas when I specifically requested a set of pasta bowls from William Sonoma.  I knew my mom ordered them.  When Christmas Eve rolled around we all finished opening our presents, and no bowls. Without thinking I blurted out , " where are my pasta bowls ?"  Well they were in my folks spare room , still in the packing box. We got a lot of presents, but I really wanted those bowls. 😆. Well after all these years, I still use them and every time I think of my mom and that Christmas . 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

Happy to hear I am not the only member of that club.  If I buy my grandchildren's ornaments the day after Christmas there is no way I remember what I bought or where I will find them!

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Get a small calendar to record what you buy and for whom.

I get a big cheap gift bag at the grocery store and keep all gifts in it until they are wrapped for the tree.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

What's worse is wrapping them as soon as bought, that way no one can peek, only to forget yourself what the heck you bought.

@Etoile308 

I write their name in ink on the under side.

Respected Contributor

I've always kept a written record of what I've purchased and the intended recipient.  The only thing I've ever lost was part of the collection of silver-plated Christmas bells I started buying every year for my nephew when he was born with the intention of giving them to him either when he got married or when he moved into his first home.  When the time came, I could only find about half of them.  I had moved a few times during those 25 years and I guess some of them must of gotten lost or stolen.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom : Same for me one year but quickly corrected that problem. Purchased a note book and put label on front: Christmas Ideas and Gifts 2020. Listed all names: Things that I heard them mentioned during year what the needed or wanted. Then best place and price . Date ordered. Date received. Item checked for defects. Put in box for wrapping with person name. Then : big red star= indicated where placed until ready to gift wrap.😳😁