Respected Contributor

Bow Topper For Christmas Tree

Hi,

Does anyone know how large of a Christmas bow tree topper would look good on a 5ft Christmas tree? Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Bow Topper For Christmas Tree

Couple of years ago bought a bow dabra and have fun doing bows. My guess would be at least 10 to 12 inches.  If you have the ribbon just unrole it to see what size you would feel comfortable with.

Valued Contributor

I think it also depends if the tree is more slender or full. As long as looking at it brings you joy!

Honored Contributor

I decided by cutting large pieces of paper or cardboard in different sizes into the shape of a bow, then attaching each one to the top.  

Stood back to see how they looked.  Do they look too small or too large for the size and width of tree? 

For me, it depends on the shape of the tree, slim, medium, or full, so I don't think one size bow fits all.  Also, I always put larger sizes on my trees.  Often they look lost up there if too small.  

I think the top needs more than one bow.  Don't forget the sides and back. 

One year using bows, stems, and picks on top of a 7 1/2 foot tree, they raised its height by 1 1/2 feet to 9 feet.  

Esteemed Contributor

@cuddlesmama You can make a bow with wired ribbon just gathered lightly in your hand, hold it up to the tree to see how it looks.

My 7 foot slim tree I put up the day after Halloween has

about a 2  foot very sheer, embroidered & beaded bow.

The ends are long on both sides to drape well. 
  On a smaller tree you could just loop it and let it wind down. Expensive ribbon is worth it!