Respected Contributor

Re: Boil , bubble,toil and trouble......

I can remember when I was young that my mother asked the trick or treaters to do a trick or entertain us before they got their treat.  Back then I was embarrassed but now I recall it fondly and how surprised our little visitors were!  Most of them really got into it with singing and a dance!!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Trusted Contributor

A few of my friends and I used to go trick or treating around the neighborhood every year when we were kids.  One year, our neighbor up the street, Mrs. Gibbs, had a life size figure of a witch sitting on her front porch throughout the month of October.  She had dressed what must have been a large scarecrow-type figure with a full, over the head type rubber mask and hat, and a black dress.  Everyday we would walk past her house when we were coming home from school.  We would always comment on how creepy that witch looked, and it became a subject of conversation for a lot of the kids in the neighborhood.  On Halloween night, my friends and I climbed the steps of Mrs. Gibbs' porch, and finally got a closeup look at the witch.  Following a requisite moment of oohing and aahing, we rang the doorbell.  There was a moment of silence, then we heard, in a low groaning tone, "Nobody's hooooome."  We all screamed and practically jumped right out of our costumes.  Mrs. GIbbs had taken the mask and costume and dressed herself as the witch for that night.  She sat on the porch to greet the kids.  She literally spent weeks setting us all up for that. It was such a great trick for the kids in the neighborhood.  

Nowadays, Halloween feels very different.  It seems like more of an occasion for the youth to get drunk and cause trouble.  I don't feel safe being out and about on that night anymore.  I either go to a party or stay in and enjoy a nice meal, glass of wine, and watch my two favorite scary movies, "The Uninvited" and "The Innocents."  I hope everyone has a fun, safe night!  Watch out for Mrs. Gibbs!

Respected Contributor

@PeterDM wrote:

A few of my friends and I used to go trick or treating around the neighborhood every year when we were kids.  One year, our neighbor up the street, Mrs. Gibbs, had a life size figure of a witch sitting on her front porch throughout the month of October.  She had dressed what must have been a large scarecrow-type figure with a full, over the head type rubber mask and hat, and a black dress.  Everyday we would walk past her house when we were coming home from school.  We would always comment on how creepy that witch looked, and it became a subject of conversation for a lot of the kids in the neighborhood.  On Halloween night, my friends and I climbed the steps of Mrs. Gibbs' porch, and finally got a closeup look at the witch.  Following a requisite moment of oohing and aahing, we rang the doorbell.  There was a moment of silence, then we heard, in a low groaning tone, "Nobody's hooooome."  We all screamed and practically jumped right out of our costumes.  Mrs. GIbbs had taken the mask and costume and dressed herself as the witch for that night.  She sat on the porch to greet the kids.  She literally spent weeks setting us all up for that. It was such a great trick for the kids in the neighborhood.  

Nowadays, Halloween feels very different.  It seems like more of an occasion for the youth to get drunk and cause trouble.  I don't feel safe being out and about on that night anymore.  I either go to a party or stay in and enjoy a nice meal, glass of wine, and watch my two favorite scary movies, "The Uninvited" and "The Innocents."  I hope everyone has a fun, safe night!  Watch out for Mrs. Gibbs!

What a cute story.