Frequent Contributor

Boil , bubble,toil and trouble......

OK posters, the bewitching hour will soon be upon us!!!! Time to post a favorite memory new or old, perhaps something you love to do  or see, or cannot get enough of! I can't wait to see the replies..... I love to see the pets dressed up. They make my day, I am sad to see the holiday end! Post away!Happy Halloween! Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Re: Boil , bubble,toil and trouble......

I love to see the little ones in their costumes and happy, happy.

One of my personal favorite memories came not on a Halloween itself, but almost a year later when I was standing in a line waiting to pay for a cup of 7-11 coffee and the man standing behind me said, "You're the woman who gives the kids pencils and pens on Halloween, aren't you?"  And when I said yes, he said thank you.  I didn't know that man, but that was certainly confirmation that we can offer unusual treats and still be appreciated.

Where I live now, I never see trick or treaters but if I did, there wouldn't be candy in my treat basket.

Respected Contributor

Made me laugh, my shirt for the Halloween Parade at O'Hare has those words on it, it's an annual event that we volunteers help with, passengers sure do love it, a fun time

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up in NJ and my siblings and I always went out, this was in the early '60s.  One year my younger sis and I went out together, my DAD drove us to a friend's house then we all hit the neighborhoods.  Neighborhoods then were packed with homes to go to, everyone was ready for the trick or treaters, very safe (we were allowed only in daylight hours), TONS of kids out, SO MUCH FUN!

This particular year my mom made a couple of costumes one of which was an orange pumpkin that we stuffed with crumpled newspapers, had draw strings at the top and the bottom.  She made a green cap (beanie-like) with a stem on the top for your head.  It just so happened that Dad still had his grey VW bus.  Good thing it had the sliding doors on the side of it otherwise I never would have fit in!!!  It was quite comical watching me get in and out of it! 

Sis and I and friends had a great time that year.  All the adults kept asking me where I got the pumpkin costume - they loved it!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops  I love this Ms Millie!  One year at my house a few years ago I chose to  not do candy either.  My husband wasn't at all happy with my choice.

I bought small boxes of raisins.  After some kids saw what I was about to drop in their bag, they said no thanks and stepped off the porch. 

Oh well....hubby wasn't happy either when my leftovers showed up in his lunches for work!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my husband was still in the AF, this couple we knew, younger than us, had 2 small ones. She was very talented ie: on the crafty side. She did paint on her son's face and made a Rubic's cube out of a box. The little girl was a bunny. I still have pictures!!

Need to add, I thought the OP was cooking again! Just kidding!! LOL

Respected Contributor

We live in a rural subdivision (everyone has acreage, long driveways, no sidewalks or streetlights) so in 40 years, we've never had trick-or-treaters. Our church, however, has a fall festival that is open to everyone the weekend before Halloween, and added "trunk-or-treat" to that 3 years ago. We line up our cars, open the trunk/hatch, decorate different ways, and the festival attendees go trick-or-treating. The kids wear their costumes, and it's just so much fun for us that we've done it every year!

Respected Contributor

One year shortly after we were married Halloween was not done...Lights out on our house it was 9:30 PM, we were out of candy.  

Well, the door bell rang like 6 times.  When I answered the door it was a pack (at least 15) teenage boys all with skateboards...Saying, "Trick or Treat".

I go, "Arent you al little old to be tick or treating? They go,"Ya maybe"?  My husband said, "Give them the rest of the candy".  I said, "I can't,  there isn't any more candy we are out"!

My husband pulled me aside and said, "Give them something...I don't want our cars keyed or the house egged".  So, I ran into the pantry and pulled out a large box of Granola Bars I just picked up at Costco.  I though they were going to throw them at me...But instead they were really happy to get them and they all said "Thank You"!

We always give the big candy bars...The last 2 years I gave the Giant Pixi Sticks you see at fairs.  When the kids see them their eyes light up and their smiles are priceless.  When they are leaving our home they yell down the street, "Come to this house they have Great Candy".

Honored Contributor

In pittsburgh our community had trick or treat 6PM to 8PM only so we would have a bonfire after that in the backyard and roast weenies and make smores. By about 11 it broke up and everyone went home but while it was going on we had some great times.Occasionally some spooky characters would visit us ( in real life - my teenage nephews) to scare the kids and get some free eats.

Respected Contributor

I have a cute memory of one year.  The Trick or Treaters have  stairs to climb to reach my porch so I make it worth their while by packing several pieces of candy into those thin paper treat bags.  One little "Angel" came up with her  Mother.  She took her paper packet said " Thank you" but there was a question on her face.  She looked to her mother and held up that paper bag and said " Oatmeal?"  " No, honey, It's candy."  says Mama.  "Oatmeal"  insists the little angel.   " She's right!"  I agreed.  That paper bag was the same texture and size as an Instant Oatmeal packet!  I asked her to open it up and look inside and then she was one happy little Trick or Treater!