Respected Contributor

The Fair St. Louis starts on the 4th and goes to the 6th downtown by the Arch, big crowds every year but I don't like big crowds so I'm going to my daughter's house, will enjoy B-B que with my son-in-law and my 3 yr old grandson (Mr. Busy) Any fireworks stories  you can share ? When I was about 11, I was in our neighbors front yard with friends who were lighting fire crackers, my Uncle was sitting on the porch watching us.  I was always afraid of fire crackers but the boys talked me into holding one while they lit it. When lit I quickly threw it up in the air. We were looking around to see where it landed but suddenly saw a flickering light in my uncle's shirt pocket and realized it was the firecracker. Before we could say anything to my uncle who didn't realize it was there, the firecracker blew up and blew his shirt pocket right off !  I took off running home scared I was in big trouble. Well he was ok, would never be around me and fireworks ever again. We laughed about it as years went by, he is no longer with us now but that story lives on in my family. Happy 4th everyone !

Honored Contributor

No big plans.  Hubby is working from 6am to 1pm, he'll be home around 2pm.  We both have to work tomorrow so, whatever we do, it will be an early night.  It's super hot, in the 90's today.  My cousin's son and his wife invited us to a bbq at their new home.  They are young and all their friends have babies and young kids.  Not my idea of a good time.    I'm sure they invited a few "old folks"  to hang out with their parents...LOL   Hopefully, inside where it's cool or up on the deck away from the action.    I made some festive cupcakes and I put out red&white outfits for hubby and me.  The plan now is to  go to the bbq and perhaps we'll go see the town fireworks.    

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big Plans for the 4th ?

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes  Went all out today for my In Laws. My MIL is 92 and step FIL is 89.Made veggies and dip, shrimp cocktail,  grilled ribeyes, mesquite chicken and corn. coleslaw, parsley potatoes, tomatoes with apple cider vinegar, peach pie and strawberry pie. They LOVED it! There's nothing better than making loved ones happy!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Goodie2shoes  Went all out today for my In Laws. My MIL is 92 and step FIL is 89.Made veggies and dip, shrimp cocktail,  grilled ribeyes, mesquite chicken and corn. coleslaw, parsley potatoes, tomatoes with apple cider vinegar, peach pie and strawberry pie. The LOVED it! There's nothing better than making loved ones happy!

That dinner would surely have made me happy... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Big Plans for the 4th ?

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes 

Ahhhh, the St. Louis Riverfront!  We used to take the Admiral down the Mississippi for the evening.  It was very nice then. 

That was years ago when I lived in a tiny town in Illinois, and we drove to St. Louis to see the fireworks at the Arch.  It had recently been completed.  

Can't tell you I remember much of anything other than the heat and humidity!  I was with a date and, afterwards, the young men in the group waded into a local fountain. 

It was one of the last July 4ths I remember at "home."

I moved to Maryland in 1973 and never went back.