Respected Contributor

Bethllehem Lights going downhill

What is it with this company? Has something changed in recent years? Ownership?  Anyone know the scoop? The TSV glitter sprigs were an embarassment. I would expect something to last 12 days that I bought at The Dollar Store but these lights are dead in 12 days?  Batteries you say? No. Put fresh ones in.  Others are saying the fairy lights are not giving more than a few weeks of light.  Something has changed here. This used to be a company that did commercial grade lighting for Department stores and municipalities but I am wary of buying anything from them again.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bethllehem Lights going downhill

@Reever wrote:

What is it with this company? Has something changed in recent years? Ownership?  Anyone know the scoop? The TSV glitter sprigs were an embarassment. I would expect something to last 12 days that I bought at The Dollar Store but these lights are dead in 12 days?  Batteries you say? No. Put fresh ones in.  Others are saying the fairy lights are not giving more than a few weeks of light.  Something has changed here. This used to be a company that did commercial grade lighting for Department stores and municipalities but I am wary of buying anything from them again.

@Reever   I agree, I have always had great luck with Bethlehem Lights until the lit glitter sprigs, many of which I am getting ready to return due to dying quickly, and fluttering lights on some.  Only four sets are still lit, just a little over a month, so will see how long they last, and will keep them, even though the lights became smaller pretty quickly, but are still bright.

Super Contributor

I have had good luck with their wreaths, small trees, and garlands.  But nothing else.  Too bad, because if they were as advertised I would buy much more.  Can't believe they are used in malls and amusement parks. 

Honored Contributor

I have to say that I'm sad to read the negative reviews in recent years on Bethlehem Lights products.

I have a house full of BL prelit garlands and wreaths with apples and pine cones, that I've had for at least 10 years and they all still work beautifully year after year.

Such a shame to see quality go downhill with any product that was once so nice.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

The comments I read on the TSV trees were not favorable.  I thought they looked kind of scraggly and rough but I'm not really a judge of artificial trees.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

this is comparing twinkle of:

Bethlehem Lights Overlit Wreath with Red Bow  (I have not tested battery life)

vs

Indoor/Outdoor Birch Tree with Twinkle/Steady Lights & Remote by Valerie

I do like the twinkle on Bethlehem lights wreath better than Valerie's birch tree.  It's much more delicate & random. Valerie's is more of a blink (not twinkle) a couple blink at a time.

but I like not buying batteries for the tree.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I agree with you. I bought the TSV mini lights a while ago and they do not last 2 weeks.  I have had to change the batteries twice now since they came.  The old ones from last year are still lit and going strong.  They are also way too small this year to use as one string.  I need 2 strings to make good light.  Too bad because I always used them for my lighting.

Frequent Contributor

I AGREE WITH YOU.  MANY, MANY, YEARS AGO I BOUGHT A WREATH THAT HAD LIGHTS WITH A TIMER.  THE SMELL OF THE WREATH WAS SO OBNOXIOUS, AND PUTERED THAT INSTEAD OF SENDING IT BACK TO QVC, I KEPT IT AND SPRAYED IT WITH PERFUME, WHICH REALLY DIDN'T HELP WITH THE HORRIBLE ODOR.  I PUT IT IN A GARAGE SALE, AND NO ONE WANTED TO BUY IT, SO I EVENTUALLY THREW IT AWAY.  NEVER, NEVER, AGAIN DID I BUY ANYTHING FROM BETHLEHEM LIGHTS.  NEVER!!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I have asked the same questions regarding Bethlehem lights. I have several wreaths (with the plugs) that I purchased years ago and they are still in perfect condition.

Recently, I purchased several of the battery operated wreaths and garlands only to return them due to poor quality. Their flower arrangements with lights are pretty but the lights have issues. I am sad to say that the quality of the products seems to have gone down over the years. 

Respected Contributor

Bethlehem Lights has gone down hill. It has been going on for years now. We purchased 3sets of Edison lights from them.  One set had 3 light that didn't light up from the start, another set lasted only a few weeks. The other set was ok.  my sister purchased their hanging basket. Cheapy looking and not very bright with lights were her comments. I haven't purchased anything from Bethlehem Lights in years and don't plan on it ever again.