Contributor

Re: Be careful if you got these from Valerie

One of the pillars that I had was recently engulfed in flames. Luckily, my dogs were barking non-stop and let me know that something downstairs was wrong. Contact Q and they issued a refund. I promptly discarded the set. I did notice that one of the other pillars was very warm to the touch in the battery area. Someone from their customer care division contacted me and after asking several questions, including was anyone hurt, I was told by the rep that she would be contacting the vendor about the item. I suggested that the item be pulled from inventory due to safety issues. Really didn't get a response on that one way or the other. Imagine my surprise to see that this item is still in inventory and being sold. Buyer beware, and if you do buy them, please be careful. Mine were set on a timer downstairs in my living room. I was upstairs when this happened. Thank goodness for barking dogs!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@TheRealOneForSure wrote:

One of the pillars that I had was recently engulfed in flames. Luckily, my dogs were barking non-stop and let me know that something downstairs was wrong. Contact Q and they issued a refund. I promptly discarded the set. I did notice that one of the other pillars was very warm to the touch in the battery area. Someone from their customer care division contacted me and after asking several questions, including was anyone hurt, I was told by the rep that she would be contacting the vendor about the item. I suggested that the item be pulled from inventory due to safety issues. Really didn't get a response on that one way or the other. Imagine my surprise to see that this item is still in inventory and being sold. Buyer beware, and if you do buy them, please be careful. Mine were set on a timer downstairs in my living room. I was upstairs when this happened. Thank goodness for barking dogs!!!

-------------

Yikes!!  You deserve more than a refund!!  Ridiculous.....

Contributor

@corita wrote:

@TheRealOneForSure wrote:

-------------

Yikes!!  You deserve more than a refund!!  Ridiculous.....

I agree with deserving more than a refund, but that is all that was offered. Customer service ain't what it should be!

Honored Contributor

@Beth-QVC 

Can you look into this product?

It seems that it should be recalled immediately.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Susan-QVC 

I see that you're on duty.

Can you look into this item?  It seems like it should be recalled.

Thanks!

QVC Customer Care

@lolakimono wrote:

@Susan-QVC 

Thanks!

@lolakimono   Thank you for reporting, it looks like the issue is already being looked into.   

Have a great Sunday!

Susan

Regular Contributor

Item is no longer available.

Regular Contributor

@Susan-QVC wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@Susan-QVC 

Thanks!

@lolakimono   Thank you for reporting, it looks like the issue is already being looked into.   

Have a great Sunday!

Susan

I have not used mine yet, but after reading these comments, I don't want to keep them and then wait until something does happen.  Can I return them as defective now?  I'm so bummed as I got two sets and really like them as they were my favorite purchase from CIJ.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Suz614   I know what you mean ... I am disappointed as well.  I limited my 2020 Christmas decor additions to just the pillars in midnight and the Baking Santa by Valerie H224103 and the matching Mrs. Claus that I purchased online.  I am so happy with each item.  And I waited so long for those pillars in midnight to come back in stock after CIJ.  I also purchased two sets of the pillars in red for gifts ... one set for my sister and one set for my Godmother.  

If the issue is the string of fairy lights, well then I will just use a flameless tealight or different fairy lights.  But if the issue is that the piece itself isn't safe... perhaps the 'plastic like' insert that some posters mentioned ...  well then that's a different story. The pillars don't look like much without the illumination ...that's what makes them really special.  

And I'm not sure what I will say when/if I gift them to my sister and my Godmother at Christmas... I just know they will love them like I do...  until I tell them to be careful because they may suddenly burst into flames?!?! 

Oh my! Is that par for the course for Christmas 2020 or what?!?!

Contributor

@Zsazsa wrote:

@Suz614   I know what you mean ... I am disappointed as well.  I limited my 2020 Christmas decor additions to just the pillars in midnight and the Baking Santa by Valerie H224103 and the matching Mrs. Claus that I purchased online.  I am so happy with each item.  And I waited so long for those pillars in midnight to come back in stock after CIJ.  I also purchased two sets of the pillars in red for gifts ... one set for my sister and one set for my Godmother.  

If the issue is the string of fairy lights, well then I will just use a flameless tealight or different fairy lights.  But if the issue is that the piece itself isn't safe... perhaps the 'plastic like' insert that some posters mentioned ...  well then that's a different story. The pillars don't look like much without the illumination ...that's what makes them really special.  

And I'm not sure what I will say when/if I gift them to my sister and my Godmother at Christmas... I just know they will love them like I do...  until I tell them to be careful because they may suddenly burst into flames?!?! 

Oh my! Is that par for the course for Christmas 2020 or what?!?!

I think that the problem was first, that the piece seemed to be made primarily of plastic, including the all plastic glitter insert, second, the lights burned hot; third, the piece is so small in diameter that you don’t really have an option of using your own light string. It was definitely beautiful, especially in midnight, which is what I ordered. I would think twice about gifting them to anyone or even keeping them for myself. Too much potential for disaster. Nobody should worry about burning down the house from a faulty holiday decoration. Pandemic is more than enough food on my plate for now,