Respected Contributor

Bayberry candles

[ Edited ]

It seems like they are getting harder and harder to find. I always heard they were a wish of good luck. Have you seen them this year?

Valued Contributor

This is definitely one of those “they don’t make them like they used to” products. You can get them from Yankee Candle online or Amazon, but the throw of any of the ones I’ve purchased in recent years has been poor. This could be attributed to the fact that I’ve only burned the taper candles, which are the ones you’re supposed to burn for good luck (allegedly) so perhaps a jar candle from Yankee might perform better.

Trusted Contributor

My Yankee Bayberry, purchased recently, smells wonderful.

I too love the scent and burn it year round.

Honored Contributor

@traveler . Yankee Candles, Colonial Candles and Partylite all sell Bayberry Candles..I also seem to remember seeing a brand at kohl's department store as well. Hope this helps a bit! They do seem to be harder to find. I also bet that Pier One might have that scent soon...

Respected Contributor

Re: Bayberry candles

[ Edited ]

@traveler    I ordered a couple dozen of the Snow-Dusted Bayberry votives last year from Yankee Candles and used a few and gave some to my daughter as a gift.  They were $2.00 per candle.  It is our tradition, as was my mother's, to burn them to the socket, every year on Christmas Eve. 

I just checked those remaining that I stored in their covered plastic tray and they have maintained their fragrance.  They also have the bayberry tapers which are more expensive and come in a boxed set of two for $8.00.

George Washington's Mount Vernon gift shop has a set of two Made in USA hand dipped real bayberry tapers for $16.95.  At the moment they are sold out.  

Years ago, before I moved to DC, I used to visit Mount Vernon and purchased these tapers and was pleased.  

Colonial Candle in Hyannis, MA  on Cape Cod used to have real ones, too, that I used to pick up while vacationing there but my recollection is having to find a new source when they went out of business.  Correction:  Seems they are still in business, but are now in the Carolinas.

Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler wrote:

It seems like they are getting harder and harder to find. I always heard they were a wish of good luck. Have you seen them this year?

@traveler  The closet Bayberry scent that I have found to what I grew up with is from The Cheerful Giver.  I have tried so many through the years, and tried this a few years ago so keep them in stock for Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

I remember many years ago my bank would give you them as a gift for opening a Christmas club account. I always loved the scent of them. Yes they were for good luck, I am not sure of the history but I remember that. @traveler  Hope you find them. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh the memories....Bayberry scent was my mother's favorite scent for the holidays!!  Always had one burning during those festive days!   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler   Wasn't certain of the saying.  Used to be on the card insert when my late mother bought the boxed tapers each year.

"A bayberry candle burned to the socket brings joy to the heart and gold to the pocket."

Respected Contributor

Colonial WIlliamsburg shopping website also sells REAL bayberry candles made the old-fashioned way.