Esteemed Contributor

Re: Battery Life Aug 2019 BL TSV S/4 10' Fairy Lights w/ Remote

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

and just to report -- 1 strand on my wreath went out last night - well maybe NOT out but certainly DIM.  I just put it up on Sunday -- so much for battery life -- and this wreath & all my outside I used DURACELL batteries Smiley Sad

@homedecor1 and anyone with these BL strands, I have returned my set and here is why.  The second strand I tested lasted longer before dimming than the first strand, but nowhere near the stated 400 hours.  The first strand I tested, the one that only lasted 23 days on 3 hour timer, I tested it again but with fresh Rayovac batteries, which have performed great for me in candles, etc.   Well, this same light strand only lasted 8 days on 3 hour timer before going very dim again!  Something is wrong with this strand, and possibly with the other 2 I have yet to test.  

Again, I suggest you test yours if you purchased H218911.

For now, I will try Valerie's small 10-light strands, one on each of two hutch shelves.  These came included with mosaic glass hurricanes, I think.  

I won't be buying anymore light strands from Bethlehem Lights.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @SHOPR , I was just thinking about starting a thread to ask what has been everyone's experience with Bethlehem Lights.  

So far, mine has been not good at all and I won't be ordering any other BL products in the future.

First, those light sprigs failed miserably for pretty much everyone.  But, I did order this same set of microlights (I mean, who would have thought twice in a row?).  Well, now mine are starting to fade, too.

What a disappointment.  And a lot of other worse names.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

Bethlehem Lights is a company that lies. Every year they say they improve battery life for the fairy lights they offer, and every year, based on reviews, their assertion is false. The fact is that any string of microlights that runs on 3 AA batteries and employs a 6 hour timer will only run on full brightness for a maximum of 2 weeks. You can buy expensive batteries or buy expensive brands, and I have bought them all. Regardless of what they claim, you’re only going to get 2 weeks on a 6 hour timer.

@MaryLamb  I feel like they certainly lied to me, in claiming 400 hours BEFORE starting to dim.  The just over 3 weeks I got on 3 Hour timer before dimming makes these no better than other strands I have from Valerie and Walmart.  So disappointed because they looked great at first.  

Exactly,  @SHOPR .  It's not how long they last or what size battery they use but how long they even stay lit before going dim.  I think we are already aware that AA battery-powered batteries aren't as long-lasting as Cs or Ds.  That wasn't your point at all.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@Mazie G wrote:

What on earth is with this company? They claim they are a commercial lighting company. My first purchase with them was the defective sprig lights. I was looking at the sprig lights with the balls and the reviews are not very good so I passed. I would expect better from them.

The glitter sprigs apparently from what I read here were from a cheap import company in Boston and passed off as Betthlehem Lights.  Not sure I believe the "commercial grade" lighting schtick. The product has definitely deteoriated in recent years.  It may LOOK better but if it doesnt work what the heck good is it ?

Frequent Contributor

I returned mine. The battery life was so short and the lights themselves were very dim. What a disappointment.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

• @GingerPeach wrote:

@SHOPR wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

Bethlehem Lights is a company that lies. Every year they say they improve battery life for the fairy lights they offer, and every year, based on reviews, their assertion is false. The fact is that any string of microlights that runs on 3 AA batteries and employs a 6 hour timer will only run on full brightness for a maximum of 2 weeks. You can buy expensive batteries or buy expensive brands, and I have bought them all. Regardless of what they claim, you’re only going to get 2 weeks on a 6 hour timer.

@MaryLamb  I feel like they certainly lied to me, in claiming 400 hours BEFORE starting to dim.  The just over 3 weeks I got on 3 Hour timer before dimming makes these no better than other strands I have from Valerie and Walmart.  So disappointed because they looked great at first.  

Exactly,  @SHOPR .  It's not how long they last or what size battery they use but how long they even stay lit before going dim.  I think we are already aware that AA battery-powered batteries aren't as long-lasting as Cs or Ds.  That wasn't your point at all.

@GingerPeach What I took from the above exchange is that there really seems to be no strand out there that will shine its brightest longer than around 2 weeks.  That, and the fact that BL stated to expect 400 hours before they begin to dim, which is such a huge exaggeration that it feels like a lie.  

I wish technology would somehow improve the lasting brightness of light strands.  I will just continue to use what I have for now, and not believe BL when they make exaggerated claims.

Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago QVC had a battery charger.  I charged batteries all the time. They said you could charge any battery. They did charge but don't last as long. But I had several leak so stopped doing it. 
  Now that batteries are more expensive I might try charging them again and using them immediately since they loose the charge. And I always set battery items on a coaster, or mirror in case they leak. I remove batteries when now being used.
   Or I could stop buying battery items and use ones with plugs!

I am glad QVC Is offering more things with plugs, but I've found them at TJs also. 

Frequent Contributor

Honored Contributor

Longer life is certainly possible. I have Valeries faceted votives and a hurricane with the micro lights. They’ve been going for over two months.
Trusted Contributor

i bought fairy lights from here before and they never lasted...i just bought fairy lights from amazon... put good energizer batteries in them.. they looked sooooo nice for about 5 days and all of the strands are off already!  i think all fairy lights dont work... im going to try my new batteries again and see what happens.. but i know its the lights... its not worth even buying these lights or any fairy lights... from my experience