Occasional Contributor

Batteries that die after 2 weeks - Valerie ParrHill

Am I the only person that has a problem with Valeries beautiful Christmas things where the batteries only last 2 weeks.  The Dove is beautiful, the angel is also beautiful and other items.  I have had a problem the last few years with this and have actually messengered Valeries about this problem.  I don't know why other brands can LAST so long and hers do not.  It seems none of her items go the full 30 days of December.  This is getting really expensive or send them back.  They are nice but cannot afford the battery life on almost all of her items.  Sending back.

Honored Contributor

Re: Batteries that die after 2 weeks - Valerie ParrHill

Do rechargeable batteries work in Valerie's things?  

Esteemed Contributor

Not familiar with items you have but.  do they take button batteries?

I once bought tea lights from the Q - they ate batteries like popcorn.  

Trashed them - pretty but NOT  $$$   pretty enough.

Honored Contributor

@MiloMuggins 

Sorry you are having a problem....I have not with any of my VPH things or Bethlehem Lights,

I put up my decorations the weekend b4 Thanksgiving and all are still going strong.

I will only use Duracell.  I always get 2+ months with them.  I use the timer functions on everything.

I tried Aldi batteries to save some $ but they died so fast.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No way to know how long those batteries had been sitting inside a box in a container on a ship before they arrived. They were exposed to moisture, cold, and heat. Surprise they work at all, as they are never high quality batteries. If you really like the items, can you replace them with something else like a flameless tea light? Am not familiar with what you bought. I know the flameless candles are not cheap to keep. I just buy a big pkg of Duracell AA batteries at Costco and don't use the timer. They don't seem to last very long when I use the timer. If your items use the button batteries I have not seen those in a big pkg but am sure they sell them somewhere....but you should not have to replace them in two weeks, especially as expensive as her things are now! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

No you are not the only one. I actually wrote a review on her Christmas TSV that was offered during the Christmas in July shows. Item number H240717. I purchased two, Peaceful Church and Black Santa in flight. 

I switched both units to the automatic timer where 6 hours the ornament is on and the balance of the time it's off. Both items did not even last a full week. I thought they were defective and went to write a review, and several people were complaining about the battery life. 

I switched out the batteries, and they were both working again. I kept them because they really are beautiful, but I no longer place them on the automatic setting. i just run for perhaps 1- 2 hours per night. 

I will be taking down my Christmas decorations after the first, and will remove the batteries from the units. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have the exact same problem! Every time I get some thing with a fairie light, or tea light.... The batteries burn out within two weeks. Obviously they're not LED lights, and not efficient with batteries. That's my main reason for not buying anything from Valerie that's illuminated. I burn through batteries like water.

Esteemed Contributor

I find anything that takes those button batteries just doesn't last.  You have to use good batteries in everything to get life out of it but those items that have the "snow swirling" sparkle things are the worst IMO.   They use way too much power, in my experience have only lasted one day or a few hours!   Those types of items need to be plug ins and even then the quality suffers in her line.  

Respected Contributor

Sorry you're having this problem.  I have many VPH items that requires batteries and I'm not having this problem.  I am, howver, noticing that my Bethlehem Lights garland and wreath is eating up batteries.  I have 5 garlands and I used only one this holiday season because of it.

Trusted Contributor

I have a ton of stuff that uses batteries. I only use Ray O Vac. Trust me, I have tried them all. Also, I buy my AA and AAA batteries at Lowes. They offer the jumbo pack at a reasonable price.