Honored Contributor

Attaching Garland to Mantel by Lisa Robertson.

Valued Contributor

Re: Attaching Garland to Mantel by Lisa Robertson.

Looks like a lot work doing it her way.  Put down the white thing and then just twist a small branch of the garland around it.  Much easier.

Honored Contributor

@sarpy wrote:

Looks like a lot work doing it her way.  Put down the white thing and then just twist a small branch of the garland around it.  Much easier.

@sarpy, She may use the floral wire because she uses so much 'stuff' on her garlands.  I like to use the wire too because it never slips.  But, in other situations, I do like you, just use branches.  It's nearly time to start digging out the Christmas decor but I'm still enjoying the fall decorations.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@sarpy wrote:

@sarpy, She may use the floral wire because she uses so much 'stuff' on her garlands.  I like to use the wire too because it never slips.  But, in other situations, I do like you, just use branches.  It's nearly time to start digging out the Christmas decor but I'm still enjoying the fall decorations.

This is what I think too.  She really puts so much stuff on that garland, I'm guessing it weighs it down too much and she needs the extra support.

I know she said she is going to be gone a good bit of November which is why she's starting now but I have no desire to start Christmas decorating in mid-October.      

Valued Contributor

For whatever reason, I'm happy Lisa is decorating now, and making these video's, so when I get ready to start I can refer back to them if I need to.  I've been wanting to see a video of how she does her mantle garland for a long time.  I hope she makes a lot more home and holiday video's!

Honored Contributor

@CaliKat wrote:

For whatever reason, I'm happy Lisa is decorating now, and making these video's, so when I get ready to start I can refer back to them if I need to.  I've been wanting to see a video of how she does her mantle garland for a long time.  I hope she makes a lot more home and holiday video's!

@CaliKat  All of Lisa R's videos are on You Tube in case you don't already know.

Respected Contributor

With all the weight that she adds to her garlands, I'm surprised that she uses uncoated floral wire.  I'd be afraid that it would cut into the wood of the mantel.  I use pipe-cleaners for hanging anywhere that the wire could come in contact with wood or any surface that could be cut or scraped.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

With all the weight that she adds to her garlands, I'm surprised that she uses uncoated floral wire.  I'd be afraid that it would cut into the wood of the mantel.  I use pipe-cleaners for hanging anywhere that the wire could come in contact with wood or any surface that could be cut or scraped.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but Lisa puts some type of 3M holders with a hook on the mantel and puts the floral wire around those.  I'm not sure how that could cut into the wood of the mantel.

But man that garland sure does look like it would be heavy.  I actually liked the way she did her garland in years past.  I'm not crazy about the addition of all that apple stuff she started to add all over.  I personally just don't think it matches the rest of her decor.  Apples are country and her house isn't.   

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are saying but Lisa puts some type of 3M holders with a hook on the mantel and puts the floral wire around those.  I'm not sure how that could cut into the wood of the mantel.

But man that garland sure does look like it would be heavy.  I actually liked the way she did her garland in years past.  I'm not crazy about the addition of all that apple stuff she started to add all over.  I personally just don't think it matches the rest of her decor.  Apples are country and her house isn't.   

I know she uses the 3M hooks, I do too.  The wire goes from the hook to the garland and wraps around the garland.  That is accomplished while it is just the not so weighty and substantial garland.  Then she starts adding the weight which can start pulling down on the garland which could result in the wire pulling down against the wood.  I'm not saying it's a definite, but it's a possibility, one that I've seen the after Christmas damage on a beautiful gumwood mantel that left me in tears.  I've become a better safe than sorry decorator.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lucymo wrote:

@CaliKat wrote:

@CaliKat  All of Lisa R's videos are on You Tube in case you don't already know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you lucymo. Smiley Happy  I have seen some of her YouTube video's, but I'm looking forward to seeing her new ones this year.