Valued Contributor

Re: Are You A Lights, Figurines, or Foliage Decorator?

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

That's funny I've never even thought about it.  I have to say I'm almost completely a lights person. There's something about glow for me that creates a sense of peace in my house.  I love my candles, lights, Dept 56 villages in hutches.  Don't even get me started about Christmas. 

@NorthernLights You have expressed something I have been trying to say. When the lights come on at home, I can go into any room, sit, and find peace from the craziness of the work day.

That's exactly how I feel.  It's like when it gets just a bit dark and the glow starts I'm feeling an immediate bit of zen like peace. It's such a good feeling.

Honored Contributor

For Christmas, I'm all three. And a lot of it!

For the rest of the year, moving more toward lights with flameless candles and lanterns.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Are A Lights, Figurines, or Foliage Decorator?

@Marsha2003 I've been thinking about what you said. When I was young, my mom was all about the foliage, because that is all we had. So that is still so much a part of my decoration. I hope it never goes away.

Respected Contributor

Very simple due to allergies. Candles with wreaths. Does that count?

Memory Lane.....

My mother used to spend nearly a month preparing all of the  holiday decorations. It all had to be unpacked and inspecte and washed. It was so lavish. She did it until she could no longer see. We celebrated two traditions in our household and Christmas could stretch into into the Feast of Three Kings (Epiphany.) Then there was the yard and shrubs. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JavaQueen Candles and wreaths sounds like lights and foliage to me!  And I agree about stretching Christmas. We celebrate "Little Christmas" even though it isn't part of our particular tradition.

Respected Contributor

Re: Are A Lights, Figurines, or Foliage Decorator?

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Marsha2003 I have a lot of foliage too, but the lights are everywhere!

@PA Mom-mom I love the look of candlelight (especially battery-operated), but I don't use many other lights.  For instance, I use Valerie Parr Hill's lit pedestals without batteries.

Honored Contributor

because I'm bored & stuck in the house (from surgery) I did some fall decorating today.  

Someone here awhile ago ago told me about taking pic and looking at your decor.  I looked at my Fall pics from 2016 (disneys haunted house had nothing on me with all the Flameless pumpkins & candles I had in those pics😳😉). What a eye opener!

I cut back a only used a little of each, packed away excess for yard sale.  It looks just right not to overdone!

Respected Contributor

@NorthernLights wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@NorthernLights wrote:

That's funny I've never even thought about it.  I have to say I'm almost completely a lights person. There's something about glow for me that creates a sense of peace in my house.  I love my candles, lights, Dept 56 villages in hutches.  Don't even get me started about Christmas. 

@NorthernLights You have expressed something I have been trying to say. When the lights come on at home, I can go into any room, sit, and find peace from the craziness of the work day.

That's exactly how I feel.  It's like when it gets just a bit dark and the glow starts I'm feeling an immediate bit of zen like peace. It's such a good feeling.

Me too. All on timers, go through lots of batteries. 

Super Contributor

Great question! Definitely lights here, and as someone else said lots of batteries through the season too.

Also loved the description someone gave regarding the peace that soft glow brings. That's so true! It's like being inside a Thomas Kinkade painting.

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Respected Contributor

I love lights in the form of lamps.....in fact, I love lamps and I'm always on the lookout for new and different ones.

I also love pillows.....they are everywhere in our home and I know this sounds odd....but, I love ottomans. I have a lot of them. Small....large, tufted....you name it. They instantly soften a space.