Super Contributor

Re: Anyone have Valeries rotating tree stand ??

I did hear Valerie say yesterday that the tree stand now comes with an adapter for 2 sizes of base poles. I believe it's on sale with free S/H right now so it might not hurt to try. You'd only have return shipping one way if not. Good luck.

Yes, I am an enabler of all things decor. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

How does it work with lights plugged in? 

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Rotating stands typically have one or two outlets built into the upper collar that also rotate with the tree for the lights. That upper collar is part of a tube/bowl type design that then has two electrical contacts on the outside of it where power from the power plug to the tree stand makes contact with the contacts transferring power to the tree while everything rotates.

In my younger days, there were multiple makers of rotating tree stands that made very solid, sturdy, dependable rotating tree stands. The old Gaudio's chain here in South Jersey used to have one aisle with nothing but rotating tree stands. They even had some with a reservoir for water for live trees. Most of the rotating tree stands you see these days are cheap, plasticky, weak, and flimsy. I know because I've bought many of them. The quality, by and large, just isn't there these days. It's a shame really as they're a pretty simple thing to design. You just need a slow rotation, high torque motor. The tree holder/outlet. Guides to secure the tree holder/outlet in place and a frame to hold it all.

I may try DIYing one at some point. I've played with a design that I kind of like. Build a wooden box painted to look like a present. Use 3" PVC pipe for the tree support with a closet flange on each end attached to round boards that screw into lazy susan turntables of suitable weight-bearing. Copper strips on the outside of the PVC to transmit the power. Then a belt drive connected to a high torque, low RPM motor to spin the whole thing. It might cost me a couple of hundred dollars to build, but it should last forever with no wobble or wriggle. I like the idea of making the speed and direction of rotation adjustable. It's on my long list of things to do at some point. If I got very industrious I'd make it look like multiple small packages of odd sizes, but that's more complicated to build, but might look more natural.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@FranandZoe wrote:

Rotating stands typically have one or two outlets built into the upper collar that also rotate with the tree for the lights. That upper collar is part of a tube/bowl type design that then has two electrical contacts on the outside of it where power from the power plug to the tree stand makes contact with the contacts transferring power to the tree while everything rotates.

In my younger days, there were multiple makers of rotating tree stands that made very solid, sturdy, dependable rotating tree stands. The old Gaudio's chain here in South Jersey used to have one aisle with nothing but rotating tree stands. They even had some with a reservoir for water for live trees. Most of the rotating tree stands you see these days are cheap, plasticky, weak, and flimsy. I know because I've bought many of them. The quality, by and large, just isn't there these days. It's a shame really as they're a pretty simple thing to design. You just need a slow rotation, high torque motor. The tree holder/outlet. Guides to secure the tree holder/outlet in place and a frame to hold it all.

I may try DIYing one at some point. I've played with a design that I kind of like. Build a wooden box painted to look like a present. Use 3" PVC pipe for the tree support with a closet flange on each end attached to round boards that screw into lazy susan turntables of suitable weight-bearing. Copper strips on the outside of the PVC to transmit the power. Then a belt drive connected to a high torque, low RPM motor to spin the whole thing. It might cost me a couple of hundred dollars to build, but it should last forever with no wobble or wriggle. I like the idea of making the speed and direction of rotation adjustable. It's on my long list of things to do at some point. If I got very industrious I'd make it look like multiple small packages of odd sizes, but that's more complicated to build, but might look more natural.

Thanks gardenman!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Just wow.

You sound like my husband.  He can rig up almost anything.

I bought a rotating stand years ago from Kmart.  I had a 10ft tree in it...huge thing....full of ornaments....and he made sure it fit and rotated smoothly.  

I think it was a good stand to begin with, but he had to do something to make sure it fit securely.

Used it for years...and it was beautiful.  I had to clear out an entire corner of my living room for this thing Cat LOL

You did a much better job describing the light situation than I ever could.  Even now, I'm trying to remember, but couldn't.  It wasn't complicated, and worked great.  Once it was assembled, it was clear how it should work.

We simply don't decorate to that extent any more.  I had seen the rotating stand at Longwood Gardens in PA, and had to have it.  I think I even bought a back up, still stored somewhere!

All that said, I'm impressed by your knowledge and ability!  It's almost  unheard of anymore!  One of the main reasons I married my husband Cat LOL

Valued Contributor

My parents had a rotating base and had to turn it off when I visited. It made me sick to my stomach and dizzy. I am not good with anything going in circles or rides that go backwards.