Honored Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about how Thanksgiving and Christmas will be this year with family and friends?

One thing for sure is that there will be a lot less people than we have now around to celebrate - especially if those that still think all is ok keep not wearing masks and congregating.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about how Thanksgiving and Christmas will be this year with family and friends?

Connecticut is beginning to prepare for another outbreak in the fall, according to what I see in our news.  Everything has calmed down here, and it’s very hard to think of this.  But preparation is a good thing.  This virus does what it wants.  And denial only lasts so long.  We keep up with our stache of supplies.  We are in the high risk age group, and we take all precautions.  Hate to think of the holidays without being around family and friends, particularly our grandchildren.

Honored Contributor

I think the world simply has gone  insane.  

Respected Contributor

Will have to see how it unfolds.  For Easter and July 4th, my kind BIL dropped off holiday meals for me.  I'm sure he will do the same for Thanksgiving and Christmas if we can't gather.  He does the same for my older sis, who lives alone.   (His wife..my sister..died a year and a half ago, and when I thank him he always says, "She would want me to do this."  It always puts a lump in my throat.

A special meal, some decorations and lights, holiday music, church streaming and Christmas movies, phone and video calls with family and friends, dropping off a few packages to a gift drive for needy families.....this is how I envision the holidays if the virus is still running rampant.  

Definitely not perfect, but we must be resilient and make the best of each situation.   

Honored Contributor

There are people who only see politics about the virus.

There are people who think we are all doomed and gonna die.

There are people who think it's no big deal.

There are people who don't know what to think.

There are a few who try to be rational and see what happens.

Then as far as holidays, there are those of us who will be celebrating as usual because our family has been gone for some years.  And for us, we will celabrate as usual for the most part. 

Respected Contributor

If things continue, as is, it will be me, my dog and lots of twinkly lights for both holidays. It will be sad to set up my Xmas tree, just for me, but I will. That's if I'm still here, which is something we all have to think about now, isn't it. 

I've lost most of my immediate family and those left have work, or social lives that are very high risk, so we don't take chances. I've not seen them, since this mess started, except through FaceTime. 

Thankfully, I'm not a person who dislikes being alone.  If I was, I'd be certifiably crazy, by now. 

Honored Contributor

I'm skeptical that things will improve significantly by the holidays.  I'm probably going to do mainly gift cards or money for gifts this year, since I'm likely to have to mail most of my gifts.

Respected Contributor

We have our flights booked for Christmas.  I hope we will be able to travel to see family, but if it is not safe, we won't go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  

Well said!   All you can do is the best you can.... Just like the flu season every fall/winter there have been times I got the vaccine and still got the flu ...just a milder case....

During this pandemic I've gone to a few friend's homes and also my sisters, its just been very small gatherings maybe 4 of us (some are retired, some have been working from home)....we maintain a bit of a distance between us, wash our hands, use sanitizers etc.....I suspect It will probably be the same just one or two small gatherings for the holidays.... I will still decorate my home, and my sister plans to do the same too......... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

I sure hope this will be over by then but then we have the cold and flu season! How will anyone know if it is the flu or the virus when the Fall comes?!