Honored Contributor

Re: Any decor updates for winter?

@Tennesseegal

I haven't taken down Christmas yet. I was really undecided about whether to put anything up this year, as I just wasn't feeling it. So things went up late, and less than usual. Then we were sick the weekend before Christmas and clear through Christmas day. So this season just wasn't normal in any way for us. 

I purged some Christmas before decorating, and will be getting rid of more while packing up. It was hard to make the jump, and I've still got more than I really want to keep, but I would say when I'm done in another week or so, I will have reduced it by about 25%, so that is at least a good start. 

I've been slowly moving away from Christmas things to more seasonal things, so greens, pine cones, and primitive snowman things will stay out, for several more weeks, even when I do pack up Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

oh pleeeeeezeeee come now -- open invite ANYTIME... its so BORING & DISMAL here - I honestly have to say its was very sad this Christmas staying here, perhaps, that's why I wanted it over.  

It was quiet as many of my friends have died this past 18 months which I guess to be expected as I'm 21 years younger, those who live here NEVER come out of the house & more!

I have to warn ya though -- the Board of Directors decided (which it needed) our pool is being resurfaced, new pumps put in, new filtration system, etc.will be closed for 8 weeks starting today. Therefore we will be spending many days at the beautiful beach!!!  So bring your floppy hat, flip flops and sunscreen...I'll get the beach chairs!!!

Actually, I'm heading to Key West next week for my cousins vacation for a few days and then home up north for a few weeks.  My son is having back surgery.  So I'll get to play a "real grandmom" for a few weeks!  Yippee!!! 

Happy New Year hope 2019 is a wonderful year!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio

oh pleeeeeezeeee come now -- open invite ANYTIME... its so BORING & DISMAL here - I honestly have to say its was very sad this Christmas staying here, perhaps, that's why I wanted it over.  

It was quiet as many of my friends have died this past 18 months which I guess to be expected as I'm 21 years younger, those who live here NEVER come out of the house & more!

I have to warn ya though -- the Board of Directors decided (which it needed) our pool is being resurfaced, new pumps put in, new filtration system, etc.will be closed for 8 weeks starting today. Therefore we will be spending many days at the beautiful beach!!!  So bring your floppy hat, flip flops and sunscreen...I'll get the beach chairs!!!

Actually, I'm heading to Key West next week for my cousins vacation for a few days and then home up north for a few weeks.  My son is having back surgery.  So I'll get to play a "real grandmom" for a few weeks!  Yippee!!! 

Happy New Year hope 2019 is a wonderful year!!!

@homedecor1

Oh no! I don't want to hear you son having surgery! But I know it will feel wonderful to be 'needed' again! Something about once a mother always a mother!

My grandparents lived in Ft. Myers before they passed, and I'm telling you, a person like me, from a life long up north existence, thinks the Florida beach on a January day seems like heaven!

I love that you have a cousins vacation. Enjoy it. Many of my dad's cousins like to get together, but I'm afraid my generation hasn't gotten into it yet. Everyone seems still too busy with their lives. 

Living in a retirement area must get a bit depressing, when you are the 'kid on the block'! It can't be fun to establish all those relationships, then loose them like that. I'm glad you get to go home as much as you do, and keep relationships and experiences with younger family members. Helps keep life in perspective a little more!

PS edited to add

Our holidays were pretty crappy this year. No one wanted to exchange gifts anymore, we were sick, and didn't even get together with my son till most of Christmas day was over. Here I sit on New Year's day with a cold and a sore throat now this week. 

I was hoping to get rid of 2018 and have a good start to 2019, but now I'm wondering! LOL

Respected Contributor

I don't have any.  I don't change any decor during the year.  I put out a few autumn things and decorate some for xmas (less every year though)  and a few bunnies and eggs in the spring.  But the decor stays the same year round.

Respected Contributor

Like the OP, I use a lot of cream and ivory accents. I add in soft greens, sea glass blue, and natural woods to keep the rooms bright and fresh. With forced air heat on constantly, I actually open up all the doors periodically just to refresh the air. I dread that winter, overheated, stuffy house smell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually don't decorate for different seasons, except Christmas.  This year, I ventured a little differently.  I decorated on the outside of my townhouse with a wreath and garland that [I think/hope] look "winter," not specifically Christmas.  I put the wreath on the front door.  I have a sectioned herb trough that was sitting empty, so I swagged the garland on top of it (and nailed it down in some areas to keep it grounded in windy days).  I feel like this is a winter look, and will not look odd thru February.

IMG_2975.JPG

IMG_E2974.JPG

Honored Contributor

Very handsome winter look, @Caaareful Shopper-- and definitely "winter"--  good job!

As a small aside, I love that smoky blue of your front door...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  Thank you so much!

Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper

Love it!  What a great idea having a wreath to use thru the winter months.  I still after many years can't get into seeing Christmas decorations here😉

I just was saying today my home looks "bare" with no front door wreath.  Of course, living in FL today it's 84 degrees so I could put up a "spring" wreath.  Although, we don't have season ☹️☹️ I still like to keep to them.  

Thank you for sharing & Happy New Year!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Very handsome winter look, @Caaareful Shopper-- and definitely "winter"--  good job!

As a small aside, I love that smoky blue of your front door...

I agree @Caaareful Shopper. Pretty color on your door... and what a pretty wreath...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...