Honored Contributor

Any Jewish posters here that would like to share and educate us....

about their Hanukkah traditions and celebrations. 

So much is posted on these boards about the Christian holidays, but I'd love to learn and share what those who celebrate Hanukkah enjoy doing for their celebrations and traditions.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any Jewish posters here that would like to share and educate us....

In almost 6 thousand years history of our people nothing is really changed. 

The scenario is the same.  They hated us, they wanted to kill us, we won, let's eat !!!!

Every year I light my  Channukiah that I bought in Israel in mostly Arabic city of Akko( how symbolic). And I make my latkes , we all love them so much, and gain wait. And we also drink a lot, we always do!!! And I give my daughter and other young family members some money.

Respected Contributor

Sanna, would you please explain a few things about the light you bought in Israel.  I would be interested.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

Sanna, would you please explain a few things about the light you bought in Israel.  I would be interested.  Thank you.

Sure. In the US people call the traditional Hanukkah candleholder a menorah. 

This is actually incorrect. The real Menorah has 7 candleholders and was at the Temple that was destroyed by Romans and taken away from us as a trophy to Rome. Read up about the history of Hannukah, the miracle that the Lord gave us and you will understand why we use a holiday candleholder that has  9 candles( one is a working candle). And the name of this holiday candleholder is Channukiah  because it is only being used for particular holiday. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you, Sanna.  You have educated me today.  I never knew this about the candleholder.  Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Very welcome. I love to learn too!!!