Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Brands of Microlights That Don't EAT Batteries?

Walmart has a new brand that uses two C batteries as opposed to three AA ones.  They run on 6 hour timers.  They sell them right by all the other microlights in the Christmas section.  They come in clear plastic drums with the lights wrapped around spools.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:
@lucymo, no leakage issues. Been using batteries from Dollar Tree for a decade at least! My sister recommended them after she'd used them for several years.

They're in all my clocks, remotes, smoke detectors, thermostat, shower radio, etc.
I keep an eye on the expiration date, and sometimes have to replace when they're old, even if they still work fine.
I always remove batteries when putting things like seasonal decorations, into long-term storage. I don't mix brands or types, which can lead to problems.

@x Hedge  I remove batteries before storage too but I didn't check the expiration date on the batteries.  I just bought them a few at a time so they hadn't been stored at my house, maybe in the Dollar Tree company somewhere.  I've also had Duracell leak while still working in the past few years the same way the Sunbeam ones did.

I'm glad you've had good luck with the DT ones as they are very reasonably priced. Maybe I'll try them again sometime.

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I own the Winter Lane brand from HSN, & the ED brand from QVC.

Both brands take AA's, start dimming after 1 week, & are useless after 2 weeks- all on timer mode. I use the best batteries I can find (I've tried Industrial Energizer, & Westinghouse). They work exactly the same in the microlights. 

Have you tried any brands that are MUCH better than these? I put away 2 of the sets already, because it's too ridiculous & expensive.

@spot555  I find the more lights on a strand, the faster they eat batteries.  I have sixty lights on ten ft. strands and in two weeks, the batteries are dead, something I didn't realize when I bought them.

Super Contributor

I bought the Winter Lane ones over the summer when they were a Today's Special. They are the worst micro lights I have ever used. The batteries only last a few days. 

Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

I bought the Winter Lane ones over the summer when they were a Today's Special. They are the worst micro lights I have ever used. The batteries only last a few days. 

@ChrissyKR

Ugh!!! I bought them also - called HSN only 2 out of 3 worked😠

They are sending me another.  I use remote feature for the 1 strand I have lit for about 3 hours - so far they look fine.

but I am interested to see how long batteries will last 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@spot555 wrote:

I own the Winter Lane brand from HSN, & the ED brand from QVC.

Both brands take AA's, start dimming after 1 week, & are useless after 2 weeks- all on timer mode. I use the best batteries I can find (I've tried Industrial Energizer, & Westinghouse). They work exactly the same in the microlights. 

Have you tried any brands that are MUCH better than these? I put away 2 of the sets already, because it's too ridiculous & expensive.

@spot555  I find the more lights on a strand, the faster they eat batteries.  I have sixty lights on ten ft. strands and in two weeks, the batteries are dead, something I didn't realize when I bought them.

@mousiegirl  That makes sense about how many lights on the string.  I have several different brands and with different light count so some last longer than others.  I don't know what brand Amazon sells but have some with lots of lights so I'm sure they will use batteries fast. But the ten or twenty light isn't enough for most places so if you use more than one string you're still using more batteries. We just have to suck it up and buy more batteries.  lol

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@ChrissyKR

They are sending me another.  I use remote feature for the 1 strand I have lit for about 3 hours - so far they look fine.

I am happy HSN stood behind them. I used fresh Duracell batteries and they just didnt last. I bought two of the TSV so I am stuck with six sets.

I bought some multicolored ones Jill had in her fall show and they lasted well. I can't remember the name off hand.

Respected Contributor

I think we all know that the makers of these products could design them better, if they wanted. I'd rather pay more $$ for a better item initially than to have a throw-away string of lights. The brands I have are ridiculous.

As far as battery brands, watch out for Duracell leakage. I used to buy the big packs at Costco for a really good price. Then I noticed they were leaking, sometimes even before I used them. They ruined a couple of my items. 

I read reviews at Costco online, & it's a prevalent issue. That's why I started buying Industrial Energizer, & Westinghouse batteries. So far they've both been good, with no issues. Now I need to find some good micros. 

Honored Contributor

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ChrissyKR wrote:

@ChrissyKR

I am happy HSN stood behind them. I used fresh Duracell batteries and they just didnt last. I bought two of the TSV so I am stuck with six sets.

I bought some multicolored ones Jill had in her fall show and they lasted well. I can't remember the name off hand.

@ChrissyKR  I only use Duracell and in the regular flameless candles, some have been going since last Christmas and only recently died, unbelievable, but the light strands are a different matter, two weeks is the maximum I get on strands that have many microlights.