Respected Contributor

Amusing Christmas experiences/stories

[ Edited ]

Just thought about this today...years ago, my niece & her husband lived in a very small rural area where the neighbors were also friendly young couples, hung out  and let their pets roam outside.

Unfortunately my niece's 1/2 collie 1/2 rottweiller (the sweetest dog ever!) was a thief.  She would bring home buckets, potted plants, anything she could carry in her mouth.  Niece would return them promptly.

One Christmas, the next door neighbor put up an outdoor nativity scene.  You guessed it - the dog brought Baby Jesus home.

Cracks me up every time I think of it.

Anyone else??

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amusing Christmas experiences/stories

Long ago one week before Christmas and many houses were built in the area I was walking in the woods with my Basset Hound looking for Holly.  There were paths overlooking the lake and nose to the ground he pulled me fast down one, then up a hill. 
   He wagged and was so proud as he settled upon a quilt. On top of it were two wine glasses and an empty wine bottle.  
  I laughed and told him we had to go, thinking someone would get their belongings. He would not move off the quilt. He weighted 85 lbs. and wouldn't come. 
   Finally I gathered the quilt and glasses and he happily followed. He was rewarded with a dog bome and nap while I notified the Homeowners Assn that I found the items. They were listed in the newsletter but never claimed.

That night the dog slept on the quilt. My son used it in College since it was a twin size. And I still use the wine glasses.

Honored Contributor

That is the cutest @denisemb !

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers -

That is such a sweet story! He probably saw that quilt and thought this was just what he was hoping for!Heart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay   That Basset Hound  liked  beer and wine. I think he smelled that!  I never gave it to him but he would find things that teenagers probably threw in the woods.
  He found beer cans in a bag  with change from the store. And I had to watch because he found food. He found a Christmas fruitcake in a tin wrapped under the Christmas tree. I hid it!

Esteemed Contributor

Love your story!

When children were younger, my family gathered on Christmas Eve with husbands' sis and brother and their families. We enjoyed our outrageous white elephant gift exchanges. One year the sis received a 5' pink flamingo yard ornament her brother bought at garage sale. Two families lived in Kansas City area and 1 in St. Louis. On a spring night, two KC couples drove to STL and secretly put pink flamingo in younger brother's yard. We drove back home and enjoyed 2 AM breakfast at a cafe in Columbia, a university town. Same year, STL brother, on his drive to family vacation in Colorado, set the pink flamingo in our yard. Coming home from church, we howled when we saw it. Our families kept up the sneaky pink flamingo trips for about 8 years and included older nieces and nephews when they got married. A nephew put pink flamingo in his grandparent's yard. By this time, they had forgotten about the family flamingo pranks. They thought  teens in their neighborhood, who drive fast and take drugs, (their words and assumptions) put the flamingo in their yard and they had the trash truck crush our beloved flamingo. For years we all teased grandparents about being a flamingo killer. They never did see the humor in the whole flamingo thing.         

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers -

I love it!Woman Happy

Valued Contributor

@denisemb  and All, 

Here is a bit naughty but nice  story.    

Many years ago across the street our neighbors set out a very nice all lit up reindeer trio.  

This went on for a few seasons with no problems.  

One night I looked across the street to find that someone had arranged the Papa Deer to be...ahem...mounting the Mama Deer if you get my drift. ??   

The teenage girls in the house had teenage boyfriends who rearranged the deer.  

Not sure how long they were in this position? ....I called the nice  neighbor across the street and she was horrified and thanked me for notifying her of this situation.  OMG!

A few years after that I saw the SAD Reindeer family out on the curb with the trash.      

Now you know who was naughty and who was nice.  

Keep Calm and Carry On,

CAT 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@denisemb 

That's so funny and I can relate to it.  When I was a kid, we had huge tiger cat.  Looking back, I think he might have had some Maine coon cat in him.  We just called him a "big tiger cat".  He ate dog food and the neighborhood dogs were afraid of him.  He also was a thief.  He brought "gifts" back to my mother.  He particularly liked stealing laundry off lines and dragging it home.  One day, he came home with someone's wallet in his mouth and wallet was full of cash.  My mother was so shocked, I remember her standing there yelling at him  "where did you get this?"  "where did you get this?"  LOL  My dad stood staring at and keeping his laugh in, which was a funny sight itself.  Finally, he said the obvious.  "there must be i.d. in the wallet".  There was and my dad took it back to the guy.  Who didn't even know his wallet was missing.  He was still sleeping in a chair on his front porch.  He'd given his kids money for icecream and laid the wallet on the table beside, where Tiger saw it and stole it.    

Respected Contributor

When my daughter was about 5 or 6, we were Christmas shopping with my Mother at Target.  We were in the toy aisles.  My Mom wanted some ideas of what to get her for Christmas.  Well, my Mom would look at a toy and repeatedly say, "made in China, made in China... can't we make toys in the USA?"  Come Christmas morning, my daughter opens her presents and the first words she says are "Made in China."  The same Christmas my daughter opened a Ken and Barbie wedding doll set.  She said, "Ken looks like Daddy but with hair."  We all had some good laughs.