Honored Contributor

Already have most of next year's Christmas shopping done

We have had some changes in the last couple of years as far as the number of people to buy for at Christmas. For so many years, it was just the two of us, my mom and my son. Now that he is grown, with DIL and two grands added to that, I found myself shopping with some kind of vengeance this past year. 

As the holiday approached, I realized that even though I'd bought at really great sale prices, and with no shipping on most everything, I'd bought just too many things for everyone, as we have been trying to buy less, and buy practical (except for the babies), so as I was wrapping gifts this year, I purposely divided what I had for the kids especially, and my son and DIL and put a lot of it back for next year. 

It feels good to have a handle already on things that can be used for birthdays this year, or Christmas next. The supply chain just doesn't seem to be straightening out and who knows what it will be like to find the things you really are looking for by next holiday season. 

I kind of feel I killed two or three birds with one stone. Didn't overspend or over burden others with gifts this year, got a head start on next year, and bought at prices I probably won't see next year. And it's all paid for, so not in debt for this past holiday or the next one.

I will organize those items, and make a master list of what I have, so that I don't duplicate or overspend this year, and when I am out shopping or looking online, I will remember exactly what I have and for who (or is it whom?)

Respected Contributor

Re: Already have most of next year's Christmas shopping done

My shopping habits have seriously changed over the last few years.  Youngsters have grown up and moved away so the majority of my gifts have been for my doctor, hair stylist, pedicurist, etc.

I usually did all my shopping in Jan-Feb while in FL.  Last year the pickings at Dillard were almost no -existent.  I don't hold out much hope this year.  Therefore, for service workers:  cash.   My doctor and my cousin's aide will still get something beautiful.

"Shopping" done !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Those are some good ideas.  I always have purchased ahead and kept  a notebook of what I have and for who.  I.also keep my list from what I have given over the years and what was the big hit.

My list has also changed over the years and how much I buy.  Less is best and overkill is no fun really.  

I purchase for my two grandkids but wait closer to the holidays to see what they are into.  I start in October.

I buy one larger gift as a family gift and this year was a play station.  I also purchase individual gifts as well.  Jackets, pjs, etc.  My daughter and I get together and figure out our budgets and divide it up between us.  My husband and I can afford more than they can so the bigger gift is very much appreciated, but also more thrilling to get something  all would enjoy that was so unexpected.  

This year I increased how much goes into our Christmas Club account.  I am figuring the expense of food as well. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio I think you are wise to have held some items back and now are very prepared for 2022.  My gift list is simple as I give live wreaths to most of the people on my list and buy a few stocking stuffers for my parents.  It gets harder and harder to find clever stocking stuffers for elders, but I can always resort to scratch-off tickets.  I haven't done that in a decade.  Maybe 2022 is the year.

Honored Contributor

If I find the perfect thing during the year for my DILove during the year, I'll get it.  This year it was Levian. I style her and get her clothes as I see them, but hold the winter items back for wrapping. 

This year I gave her some L' Occtaine which she had never heard of and she loved it!

DH, DS, our preteen GS, and teen GS need to be seasonal which is a challenge since I cook so much.

Esteemed Contributor

Since my daughter and family moved out of state.....

I just give cash....

I miss the days though of them opening gifts....

Respected Contributor

When my husband switched jobs and we moved, that cut own 13 people (adults and children) buying for Christmas gifts.  I was relieved, it was getting to be too much.  If I see something that I know someone would really like during the year, I buy it and put it away (and hopefully remember I bought it and where I put it).  My husband and I don't exchange gits really...well, we get each other little stuff.  We've been doing a lot of remodeling and updating in our house since we've moved in.