Esteemed Contributor

Re: All I want for Christmas …

@homedecor1 

I'm one of those who used to decorate to the rafters every year.  Took me days and days.  My husband crafted frames for all my interior doorways that were covered with holiday garlands.  A wreath in every window on the outside of our home.

I had a 10 ft tree in a rotating stand with hundreds of items stuffed in every branch.  It was beautiful!

I would cut fresh pine greens from surrounding trees and use them all over the house.  Even the bathrooms! 

We hosted a holiday party or open house.  I enjoyed entertaining and would take a few days off from work to get ready.  It was a joy for me.

Fast forward to today.

I have a 2 ft tree ready and waiting in my craft room.  On Thanksgiving, I'll drag it out and plug it in.

Maybe have a few things out front, but, otherwise, that's the extent of my decorating.

Time passes, things change.  I miss it, but doubt it will ever return.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Your memory of Christmas sounds just like mine for years & years.

I even changed my bedrooms complete with small trees, linens (including curtains), bathrooms and any space into a winter wonderland.

Fast forward -- my ceramic tree from my mom (or maybe aunt) from years ago, a few of my favorite pieces and front yard -- this year maybe even less...

Sadly, I'm tired and life is wearing me out being a caregiver 24/7 so my energy levels are waning!  Just spent 3 hours getting everything secured & taken down for the arrival of Hurricane Ian🤬

All I say everyday is the single ladies who do everything I never thought I'd be faced with -- Kudos and God Bless You! (ps: Spouse used to do all the heavy stuff and outside)

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  and @Witchy Woman You two sure did a lot of decorating! I would think it would be hard to make such a big change over to your current minimal versions. My inside decorating has remained the same ( two full size trees and an average amount of Christmas decor). We've definitely cut back on the outside stuff. Now it's just our covered front porch we put stuff on. Getting all those cords and lights pulled out of the snowy bushes and lawn was a pain. 

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 

Sounds like you did it all....and wasn't it fun at the time?

Sending prayers for a safe passage during Ian.   That's your priority right now.  So worriesome!

Being a caretaker can be exhausting.  Your little ceramic tree will be just fine for the holiday.  I love those little trees!

I look at it like this, I had my high-flying days, so I have memories to hold me over.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AuntG 

It has been gradual over many years.  And, yes, it made me sad for awhile.

But, all that time and effort seemed crazy for just me and my husband once we stopped entertaining.

People seemed disinterested in coming to parties as the years went by.  Their lives were changing too.

I gave away most of my decor, so I don't miss it.  Dragging all those boxes out at holiday time just got to be a burden.

I try not to dwell on what I no longer have or do and be happy with what is.

I admire anyone who wants to decorate their home.  Make yourself happy in any way you want to!Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

@Othereeeen I love the holiday music and christmas lights I must say.