Honored Contributor

Re: All I want for Christmas …

@Othereeeen wrote:

@homedecor1 

Yep the sets are pretty.....in an over the top garish kind of way....

Then I think about boxing all that stuff back up, hauling it to the storage area, (basement, attic, storage locker)... 

Or...the second mortgage one needs to buy batteries for all this flashing color morphing prelit junk....and the battery compartments that are all corroded the next time you go to use this stuff.

I look at the sets, then turn off the TeeVee.

Three months and one more day.

Then on to Nutrisystem and Thigh Magic De-flabber ( or vibrating platform, or whatever gimmick will sell until next June...when.......it'll be time again ....

Christmas in July will begin again!!

More cabin socks! Flocked bottle brush trees!! Color morphing trees that work for one season!!!...

Jim Shore's Chinese made hokey "Americana" figurines....can't beat that with a stick!

and those  creepy resin figures, with bloated resin bellies and truncated bow legs and peculiar cartoonish child like wide eyed resin expressions ...smiling thier permanent resin smiles as if they just learned some horrible truth about you ......

And blow molded or inflatable anything....all of them graphic manifestations of the infantilization of America....

@Othereeeen 

I hear what your sayin ... I've watched to many years of Q for sure I know the drill🤦‍♀️ of the duplication of programs to come!

Yikes, your descriptions definitely should make you turn off the tv😉The only show I used to enjoy was ITKWD now it's food & most things I can find at my local store.

The "joy" of holiday programming got old around July for me but I do watch Valerie sometimes just for ideas for the things I have.  

As for batteries I buy them in bulk all year long be too expensive to buy all at once.  I know I need quite a few & I'm with you on the storage of things -- mine are stored in a above garage attic and I can't get them so I pay my handyman to get them down. So that's a issue too...

but I get enjoyment out of still decorating my home even if just for us🙂

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    Changing the subject here, but are you anywhere in the path of the hurricane?  Looks like most of Florida will be affected to some degree.  It's a scary dangerous storm.  Does your dh use oxygen?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

As always thank you for asking and the answer is yes.  We are prepared (even have extra O2 tank).  We are registered with shelter who has oxygen capabilities through our County.  Hopefully we won't need to go.

We are very blessed they have a group of volunteers in the Community they are Certified Response Emergency Team (CERT) who will help you with any outside prep or anything else.  Our handyman is also available if I-need his help.

Right now it's a "waiting game" and thank you for your concern🥰

homedecor1

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday 

We are blessed to have a large family but slowly the "patriarchs" are dying and I know my kids always do the holiday thing and I've always been home for them.  Due to pandemic and spouse illness I've been unable to go home🥺😢 holidays are just not the same.

the traditions are slowly fading away and that saddens me.  FaceTime moments are great but just not the same as in the days gone.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1   lol, I thought you were just worried about Christmas decorations.  I should have known you'd have the hurricane all organized.  Watch out for wind-borne alligators.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@homedecor1   lol, I thought you were just worried about Christmas decorations.  I should have known you'd have the hurricane all organized.  Watch out for wind-borne alligators.

@Kachina624 

No they're the last of my worries .... spouse would be happy if they blew away in hurricane lol

Honored Contributor

Oh, wouldn't that be nice? I'd put all my stuff away and let her do it all.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want or need nothing!!  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I want or need nothing!!  

@wagirl 

me neither!!!  I just have so many beautiful things over the years I'd just like Valerie to take them & decorate my home and Christmas tree😃😃

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties wrote:

I have three cats. I stopped putting up a tree after the third year of waking up in the morning to find my tree in a shambles. There was garland & ornaments all over the floor. Once I found a kitty sleeping in the branches. I decided it could be a hazard for them. Maybe they would bite through a light string or choke on the garland. Cats will be cats & my precious babies mean more to me than a tree.

Oh @Sweet Kitties you bring back memories. Our cat would climb our Christmas tree. And down it would go. 

My Dad (I love that I had him for a Dad) did quite a bit of hunting. But he finally found a cast iron tree holder. It weighed about 20 or more pounds and had a large base. The tree never ended up on the floor again.

Mom and kitty were back on speaking terms again.