Esteemed Contributor

Re: After Christmas Decorations

I leave my Alpine trees with white lights and my snowmen since I live in a snowy area of the US.....looks so pretty on cold winter months

Respected Contributor

when christmas decorations comes down maria puts up valintines decorations. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

All of my Christmas decorations are put away the first week in January.  We have a real advantage decoration-wise here in New Orleans.  When the Christmas decorations go, it's time to put the Mardi Gras decor out!  In fact, I bought a beautiful beaded fleur de lis toss pillow today in Mardi Gras colors.  One more thing to add to my Carnival decorations.  On Ash Wednesday I take down the Mardi Gras stuff and begin to put out Spring decorations.  Here on the Gulf Coast, winter is over by March, so it all works out.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

I will put away my Christmas decorations New Year's Eve weekend.  I go back to school on January 2nd so at least they will be put up and I won't have to do it after a tiring day.  The last few years I have done something different in my living room though and I really like it so I am doing it again.  I only have two luminara candles and I leave them out all winter for the glow.  On my coffee table, I have a basket made of chicken wire and I put one of the candles in it and surround it with cotton bolls.  I have a white, Laura Ashley pitcher (very old) and I put a mixture of cotton stems and cream roses.  Then, I add a white and brown bird in a silver nest and some owl-shaped candles.  The other luminara candle is surrounded with a cotton stem candle ring.  i love the effect of these few decorations- very wintery-romantic I think.  In my kitchen, i decorate through January with some snowmen; hoping for a snow day!!  Everything else in the house goes back to the regular decor.  

Honored Contributor

That does sound very pretty, "wintry", and creative, @Tennesseegal.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you. I actually did this yesterday. It was cold here all day so I cleaned house all day and put up Christmas decorations.  My outside decorations are still up but indoors is back to normal.  And I added those wintery touches to my living room.  Surprisingly enough, I was in Hobby Lobby before Christmas and they were putting out some spring decor. There was quite a lot of "cotton-themed" decorations including some dishes!

Valued Contributor

When we put our Valerie Parr Hill expensive window candles up this year we had major issues. First of, last year I purchased three sets of replacement bulbs that we upsold with the candles. The bulbs alone were almost $60. Three of the 12 candles didn’t work with fresh batteries so; I went to get the replacement bulbs that were supposed to be exclusive to the candles. AND.....they did not fit the candles! I was beyond upset as the investment of the candles and bulbs were pricey and I expected the quality that is advertised with VPH’s products. I’ve noticed more & more items made in China....could that be the problem?
Thankfully I spoke to a great customer service rep. named Natalie, she did a bit of research and noted in our account that the bulbs can still be returned! YAY!
I’m surprised and frustrated that quality is so inconsistent yet, spoken profoundly by the hosts & VPH.
Next time we need new candles it will be a local store at a much more reasonable price.
Very disappointed!
Valued Contributor

We put up our decorations later, as we truly enjoy harvest time & thanksgiving. However, we are old fashioned and leave them up until the Epiphany on/about Jan 5th. Winter is long and it keeps the house a little brighter for a while as well. I’m not a fan of the rush for everything~guess it’s my age. But, I like to embrace and treasure each holiday for its meaning; whether secular or a legal holiday.
JMHO 🎄
Respected Contributor

@Gemspirit  I do the same.  Even when a child in the 60s my family did not put the Christmas tree up until two weeks before the 25th. (Probably because we used real trees then.)  I am not a fan of rushing the holiday, thus we don't get tired of enjoying our Christmas decor into January while it is still so dreary in my part of the US.  Yes, "the day" is over, but the decor is a reminder of the Christmas spirit of peace and good tidings we strive for.