Respected Contributor

Re: After Christmas Decorations

Lucymo, I know it's almost Christmas, but I've been pretty busy.

I've sent out almost all my cards, I've done 10 Christmas programs, and I've been working on getting my decorations out of my storage unit. Actually, I'm a bit ahead of schedule!

Honored Contributor

@Carol08 wrote:

I am getting sad thinking about taking down my Christmas decorations after New Year's Day. What decorations are you ladies leaving out after Christmas, during the Winter months? I can leave the snowmen out, but am not sure about the beautiful mercury glass trees from Valerie.  I guess I can keep the pedestals and some spheres by Valerie out, also.  How about wreaths used as centerpieces for tables?

I am usually the odd duck when it comes to decorations after the holidays...mainly due to a schedule/time crunch. This year I was a week late getting up our holiday decorations..finished about on the 12th this month. So I will probably take all the decor down a week later in January so we can enjoy the decor for the same amount of time. I usually take it all down the day after New Year's Day.

I then go room to room and do an overall cleaning of walls, carpet shampooing, taking all our artglass out of the wall unit and curio cabinets and cleaning the pieces/shelves...which is about a month long process.

End of January I put out our Spring decor. I don't have the time afterwards since I start sowing seeds and working on the set up with grow lights for our plants in the basement for our gardens. Just a couple of weeks later the birds start the Spring migration by early-mid February, so to my DH and me, it's Spring by then anyway Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Other than changing out a few accessories, I only do 'special' decor for fall and the Christmas/winter season. It does feel a bit bare once the tree comes down and so on, but I get used to it pretty quickly. Although I'm in no hurry to put it away, it's always a relief, once the time comes to do it, when it's all down and packed away.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I keep Christmas trees up in the house all year.  I'm not particularly any religion - (Emersonian existentialist describes me best), but why not symbolize a joyous thing all the year?  That's how I see it, anyway.

I do pare down the particular Christmas things when I start to see the light of Spring.  Then the color palette changes for the decorating scheme.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Other than changing out a few accessories, I only do 'special' decor for fall and the Christmas/winter season. It does feel a bit bare once the tree comes down and so on, but I get used to it pretty quickly. Although I'm in no hurry to put it away, it's always a relief, once the time comes to do it, when it's all down and packed away.

@stevieb

Well said!

When I was younger, and especially raising my son, pack up and putting away the Christmas decor was rather sad. I just didn't want the season to end when he was little. 

But now, it really is a relief to have it done. I'm attributing that to age as well as the fact that I probably am still over decorating based on my newer desire to simplify and uncomplicate. 

If I was as streamlined as I believe I want to be, I probably wouldn't be in such a relieved state to have it over with. I never feel anxious to get the fall things down, but only feel it necessary because the next season has to go up. So I must have it just right with my fall stuff. Now....to get there with Christmas! 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@stevieb

Well said!

When I was younger, and especially raising my son, pack up and putting away the Christmas decor was rather sad. I just didn't want the season to end when he was little. 

But now, it really is a relief to have it done. I'm attributing that to age as well as the fact that I probably am still over decorating based on my newer desire to simplify and uncomplicate. 

If I was as streamlined as I believe I want to be, I probably wouldn't be in such a relieved state to have it over with. I never feel anxious to get the fall things down, but only feel it necessary because the next season has to go up. So I must have it just right with my fall stuff. Now....to get there with Christmas! 

@stevieb

@Mominohio

I decided this year to go all out (and I still didn't use all I have in the Christmas decor), since my arthritis is steadily becoming more of a problem, don't know how next year will be, so I wanted to use most of the items.

Imo, less is so much more pleasing, to me at least. I have often said that I don't like every surface being covered in decor and that is what I ended up with this year, lol.

So, I am already looking forward to taking it back down (I know I could remove some things now, but am leaving it till Christmas is past, at least the day after).

I have hosted one Christmas gathering and will be hosting one more, so will leave it festive as all get out till then, lol.

The packing away of Christmas decor has never been sad for me, even when my children were young. 

I then will use Jan and maybe part of Feb, depending how it goes, to go through my house, room by room, cleaning, decluttering, organizing. By March I will be planning my outside garden beds and that type of thing.

But for this year, it was all ahead full steam.

Merry Christmas everyone. 

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1 @Mominohio... I really did minimal decorating this year... All my stuff is scattered to the winds... Some of it is here at my place, either packed in closets or in a storage area... Some of it is at my mom's, either in her garage or in one of two yard sheds and some of it is in yet another storage area... I took a good look at the things that were most accessible, regardless of where stored, and actually put the vast majority of it back and left it where it was... I ended up with a small tree, a wreath on the front door and the kitchen door, a very limited smattering of seasonal decorative objects, along with a few poinsettias. I will buy some cut flowers tomorrow for the dining table and that's it... Taking Christmas down this year will be far more of a breeze than ever and the truth is, I don't miss all those things I'd normally have set out...

Best of all... I acquried almost nothing new this year in the way of holiday decor... I made a few trips to Pier One, Homegoods and the other TJX stores, but mostly just looked... I picked up one new stocking and just a couple of pretty pieces, but not much at all and no new ornaments... It's always hard for me to resist, but I can't and don't use the volume I already have and so it makes no sense for me to keep adding more.

Merry Christmas to you both! I hope it's a festive one!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I have red hobnail chalices and I leave them out for the entire winter.  This year, I bought two red lanterns with candles in them and I am not going to put them away until spring.  The accent color in my home is red, so it works.

Honored Contributor

I think when I take the Christmmas stuff down I am going to do some beachy decor. Just a little - not too heavily, but I have a few things I'd like to put out. I have beachy on the lanai so I'm gonna carry it inside.

Honored Contributor

For the first time in several years I have my Dickens Village (Dept. 56) houses and accessories on display.  They're on my coffee table and the bottom shelf of my sofa table and will stay out for a while.  I have a collection of snowmen and they will also stay out. 

My Christmas tree is white and decorated in soft colors of pink, mauve, gold, brown and burgundy and will stay out at least through January.  My Christopher Radko ornaments are displayed on the top of my sofa table and will stay out.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fd/5a/22/fd5a22d8606855c0587e8aa7ef5ec745--victorian-christmas-tree-christmas-tree-design.jpg

(This is not my tree but the colors are somewhat similar.)

I also have a collection of Santas and haven't decided when I'll put them away.  Maybe it will be around Epiphany (Jan. 6).

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~