Respected Contributor

Adding Christmas in the Kitchen

What all do you do to add a festive touch in the kitchen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Adding Christmas in the Kitchen

SO much goes on in my kitchen, I just put this handmade Santa on my kitchen table where our sons had breakfast, lunch, and did homework.

DSCN0469.JPG

Honored Contributor

I get out my kitchen cart and get my baking supplies ready.  I make many types of candy, cookies and flavored nuts.  When my family sees the full cart, they know Christmas is near.

I am not into Christmas decor. I have never liked it, but put it out because I had children.  It's just me and hubs now.  He decorates the windows and outdoors and puts out  my table top flocked tree with one lone red cardinal and lights on it and a wreath on the door.

The best part of Christmas for me is family and food.  I start baking on a small scale next week for Thanksgiving and then will dive right in to my Christmas goodies.

I know I am a Scrooge.  But, hey.  I do have a few Christmas tea towels I can put out and maybe a Christmas tablecloth or placemats.  I can do that without too much effort if I get around to it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put up a 6.5 foot artificial Weeping Larch tree in the breakfast room adjoining the kitchen.  Yes, Frontgate sold it as a Christmas tree. Thankfully, it came with lights on it. 

It's odd to use as a Christmas tree, but I like it because it's beautiful with all the lights on, unique and a conversation piece.  

I use picks because it's too difficult to decorate with anything else.  I will be putting it up this week.

The others I decorate are normal trees...firs and long needle Eastern Pines.

I have a 2.5 foot weeping berry tree on the center island in the kitchen.  Not sure if I will add anything else other than poinsettias in the breakfast room. 

Here is a real Weeping Larch growing outside in someone's yard.  Mine isn't quite as full.   

See the source image

Needles

See the source image

See the source image

For those unfamiliar with the European Weeping Larch.  Prefers northern climates with cold temps in Winter, mild in Summer.  It's called a deciduous conifer, loses its needles for Winter.  Needles turn yellow in the Fall before they fall off. Grows to about 12 feet tall, 10 feet wide.

Weeping Larch in Fall before it loses its needles.  

Image result for weeping larch in fall

Here it is in a nursery to be sold to garden centers.  

Honored Contributor

I have electric chili pepper strings up all year..

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I've scaled way back on holiday decor in the kitchen since our remodel. I do have a corner of the counter that kind of ends up being a dead empty, not much usable space, so I have taken to doing a seasonal vignette there only. I do have a couple of lanterns in the kitchen, so for winter, I put a pine pick through the ring on the top of each one. The pick is very realistic and has pine cones and gives a nice winter touch during the holidays right on through to the spring. 

I do get out some seasonal dish towels to use and I have holiday dishes that we use during that time as well. But just the one vignette for actually holiday/seasonal decor in that room. 

Respected Contributor

Nothing.

Respected Contributor

Nothing. I need all the room I can get for food prep in my galley kitchen. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have Christmas towels and potholders.  I also put a Christmas tablecloth out and add a  festive candle on my hutch.   I actually put little trinkets all over the main living area, including the guest bath.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud   I put the Christmas tree type green garland (no lights) across the tops of all my cabinets since my ceiling is high.  If too plain, I add a few Christmas picks to it.  I've also put a few small trees on top of the cabinets in the corner, but usually just the garland and a couple of Christmas hand towels. I have a patio door in the kitchen/dining area with drapes that sweep to the side that usually gets some sort of Christmas decor hanging from the rod.  On the kitchen island, there is a huge arrangement in a tall silver mercury glass vase with pine picks, poinsettias, some fairy lights, etc.  Right now there is fall flowers and decor in the vase, and come Thanksgiving weekend, it will be switched out for the Christmas flowers.

I have an open kitchen which is connected to my family room, in there is a flocked 7' skinny tree (rotating) that is decorated with silver and white ornaments, a mantel that is also decorated with silver and white trees and a beautiful lighted flocked garland just under the mantel, and a wreath hanging on the artwork.   

I'm getting exhausted just thinking about doing the decor again this year, but the whole family comes to my house for Christmas, so I want it to be nice and festive for everyone. 

......You look like I need a drink.....