Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE LIKE OR BUY VALERIES MERCURY GLASS CHARGERS?

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Marsha2003 wrote:

I love charger plates, but I have so many already that I didn't need to add any more.  I hope you love them, @mousiegirl.   Be sure to show us how you use them.  

You succumbed to the gumdrop trees like I did...lol.  I only bought one and I'm convinced I can use it for easter and spring.

@Marsha2003   Did you grow up with a plastic gumdrop tree?  I did.  My Mother would stick gumdrops on at Christmas, but most of what she used were spicy, so didn't like them.  As an adult, I came across a silver plated tree, and found sweet gumdrops to stick on for DD, havn't used it in years.

Also, do you remember the lit gumdrop trees Valerier brought years ago?  I overdosed on them, lol, but I do love them in my gingerbread display.  The second batch I ordered were a little darker than the first, go figure.

@mousiegirl I didn't grow up with a plastic gumdrop tree, but I've seen pictures of them. I was attracted to the colors of the tree.  I hope the picture was a good representation.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl  I thought they were beautiful. I have some and don't  really use them often enough to justify more of them. But, it was easy to decide when Valerie said to remove them before serving dinner. I guess I thought the purpose of the chargers were to hold and adorn the dinner plates. ????

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@mousiegirl  I thought they were beautiful. I have some and don't  really use them often enough to justify more of them. But, it was easy to decide when Valerie said to remove them before serving dinner. I guess I thought the purpose of the chargers were to hold and adorn the dinner plates. ????

@pattypeep   I didn't hear that, but I don't plan to use them all under plates, maybe it has something to do with heat.  In my experience, mercury glass should only be dusted, no water should ever touch it, otherwise the paint comes off.

I may end up returning them if I deem them to fragile for my purposes.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl 

I remember those plastic gumdrop trees that you would put gumdrops on! I had forgotten all about those. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Esteemed Contributor

bought the silver chargers .   Have many Mercury glass items in the dinning room table decor so they will be perfect! Can also use them for candle gardens and other displays  😺.  

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl   Have to check these out. I am a big fan of chargers and have lots of them.

I completely forgot about her show.........................goodness. 

Honored Contributor

I bought the gold. We have a natural-colored mixed stone floor to ceiling fireplace - that holds our gas stove - and a thick mantel. I will stand these in back of the mantel to refect some things that I put up there - don't know what yet! I love gold tones and think I can use these almost all year round if I want to!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously, why would anyone remove the chargers before putting food on their plates? I'm going to read the description. I always considered Valerie to have an easy style that the average person could achieve in their home. This is too fussy.

*edited to add*

It was Jayne who said you "always" remove the charger plates before serving the food. Valerie nodded.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Seriously, why would anyone remove the chargers before putting food on their plates? I'm going to read the description. I always considered Valerie to have an easy style that the average person could achieve in their home. This is too fussy.

*edited to add*

It was Jayne who said you "always" remove the charger plates before serving the food. Valerie nodded.

@AuntG   I think because it is mercury glass, as I mentioned, if something gets on it or heat on it, could cause breakage or damage. 

I found this:

Charger Plate Etiquette

Charger plates should be dressed and ready when guests arrive. Chargers are always removed from the table after all guests are finished eating the main entree. ... Chargers are never used when serving dessert.Feb 21, 2019

Valued Contributor

I heard that too @mousiegirl , and it didn't make sense to me.  Why would you remove the charger plate before serving dinner?  I googled, and found that chargers should be removed AFTER dinner.  The article said you should never serve dessert on a charger.  That makes a little more sense (I guess).  In the end, your house - your rules!