Honored Contributor

Re: A few last pictures before it's all over

Took the VPH LIVE wreath down off the front door today.

It was pretty-- we enjoyed it.

The white sparkle trees and village buildings will stay out for awhile .. batteries allowing.

DH is enjoying having the candle tapers in the front windows so we will keep those going.

If the weather turns colder, a little warmth in the form of the twinkle lights will be nice. ❤💜💙

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio Lovely pictures.  Thanks for sharing your decorating.  You help make these forums enjoyable.  We just arrived home from visiting our out-of-state family, so the next task after I do the laundry from our suitcases will be to pack away the holiday decor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio

as always pretty & very welcoming! you can tell you ❤️ To decorate - it shows in every pic!!!  Oh and the Christmas table setting is very welcoming...what's for dinner?

IMG_5800.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Mominohio Lovely pictures.  Thanks for sharing your decorating.  You help make these forums enjoyable.  We just arrived home from visiting our out-of-state family, so the next task after I do the laundry from our suitcases will be to pack away the holiday decor.

@Marsha2003

Glad you made it home safe and sound and hope your visit was a good one (but they are usually way too short!).

Some years I really drag my feet taking the decorations down. I never do it before New Years is over, but some years I've gone till mid January before I jumped in. 

I've order some new storage/organizational things that should be here by Tuesday and I'm anxious to jump right in. 

I think it is more about refining my new storage solutions than getting Christmas down, but I am ready to get it underway!

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

Took the VPH LIVE wreath down off the front door today.

It was pretty-- we enjoyed it.

The white sparkle trees and village buildings will stay out for awhile .. batteries allowing.

DH is enjoying having the candle tapers in the front windows so we will keep those going.

If the weather turns colder, a little warmth in the form of the twinkle lights will be nice. ❤💜💙

@LTT1

For a number of years, my mom would gift us with the VPH wreath, but we haven't had one in quite a few years (they really seem to have increased in price over the years....but what hasn't!). 

I really miss them. One year I hung it on the entryway door at our garage (as that is the first thing you see when you pull in our driveway) and it was a particularly cold and snowy winter. It lasted until mid March, and when covered in snow, looked just like a Christmas Card, it was so beautiful. I always hated to take them down, but loved that it was one less thing to store.

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio

Yes.  My Christmas break has gone by way too fast.  I always have plans to do things which never get done!  By the way, I have an old school desk on my front porch too that I like to decorate.  I like your old jugs; we call them moonshine jugs in the south!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:
  1. 20161229_162456.jpgany one else get these vintage children from VPH? 
  2. There is one more in the set, two kids decorating a tree. I wish she would do more things like this 

@Mominohio  Are the candles red Mirage?

Yep! We love our Mirage candles! I keep hoping they bring back more of those mottled ones in some other colors. I have green, red, honey, and cream and gray. 

I bought the set of three Mirage candles in burgundy, and they are nice, but not as rich looking as the mottled ones. 

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:
  1. 20161229_162456.jpgany one else get these vintage children from VPH? 
  2. There is one more in the set, two kids decorating a tree. I wish she would do more things like this 

@Mominohio  Are the candles red Mirage?

Yep! We love our Mirage candles! I keep hoping they bring back more of those mottled ones in some other colors. I have green, red, honey, and cream and gray. 

I bought the set of three Mirage candles in burgundy, and they are nice, but not as rich looking as the mottled ones. 

@Mominohio  I just bought a lot of the red Mirage on zulily, and hope they are a true Christmas red.  I also bought green for Summer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

20161229_162440.jpgthis girl is similar in size and style but I found her at a local shop. I can't seem to get enough of these. 

@Mominohio, This scene is particularly pretty.  I feel like I've stepped back in time a little when I see your pics, and I really enjoy all of them.  

I also like how you put things together, combining old and new, and it all seems to work so well together when you do it.  I strive to do the same, and sometimes I like the results, and sometimes I don't. 

Hobby Lobby had some frosted vintage kids either 3 or 4 years ago.  I don't know if they have continued to sell similar things or not, since I don't think I've been back but once since then.  Just Plain Crazy (JPC) found these adorable kids, told me all about them, and showed me how she used them in her (same) lantern.  It was such a cute idea that I copied her.  Since taking this picture 3 or 4 years ago, I've removed the snowman and added bottle brush trees of different heights, strung with warm white lights. 

If you find any more of the vintage figures, please let us know.  I love them. 

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g418/UnderTheseTrees/IMG_3078_zps7012f6ab.jpg

Honored Contributor

@SHOPR wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

20161229_162440.jpgthis girl is similar in size and style but I found her at a local shop. I can't seem to get enough of these. 

@Mominohio, This scene is particularly pretty.  I feel like I've stepped back in time a little when I see your pics, and I really enjoy all of them.  

I also like how you put things together, combining old and new, and it all seems to work so well together when you do it.  I strive to do the same, and sometimes I like the results, and sometimes I don't. 

Hobby Lobby had some frosted vintage kids either 3 or 4 years ago.  I don't know if they have continued to sell similar things or not, since I don't think I've been back but once since then.  Just Plain Crazy (JPC) found these adorable kids, told me all about them, and showed me how she used them in her (same) lantern.  It was such a cute idea that I copied her.  Since taking this picture 3 or 4 years ago, I've removed the snowman and added bottle brush trees of different heights, strung with warm white lights. 

If you find any more of the vintage figures, please let us know.  I love them. 

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g418/UnderTheseTrees/IMG_3078_zps7012f6ab.jpg

Oh my goodness @SHOPR! I love this lantern! And changing the snowman for the trees would make it absolutely designer perfect in my book.

I have a couple of lanterns with things in them other than candles, but I simply can't get a good picture of the contents, too much glare with a flash, and too dark without. I love to put things besides candles inside lanterns. It really takes the lantern thing to a whole new level.

So many of the vintage children I've seen in the last year or two (I think Hobby Lobby had some) are just missing the mark for me. I'm really fussy about the colors on them. I want them to be deeper tones and more muted, and so many insist on having at least one part done in bright or almost a neon shade of some color. It just ruins the piece for me, when they do that.

The children in your lantern look to be the perfect colors and shades for the era they depict. 

I will be sure to post here if I see anything similar anywhere. I don't know just how many more I think I need, but I'm always looking for them!!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio you haven't seen laid back and casual until you've seen my house.  Yours was beautiful.  Unfortunately, I'm decorating challenged so it looks like a mishmash of ideas.  At least DH and I both like it.