Esteemed Contributor

A New Tradition for the Holidays?

This year my dh and I decided to take a Hawaiian cruise over Thanksgiving. That means that I probably won't decorate for Christmas and that means there is no more buying in CIJ. Our three children are all in different states and our local friends spend their holidays with family. We are going to take this time just for us as a retirement celebration for my dh and a belated 26th wedding anniversary. Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: A New Tradition for the Holidays?

Have a wonderful time !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Congratulations!    You also made a wise decision.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Good for you.  Smart move, IMO.  In the past we frequently traveled over Thanksgiving, e.g, Hawaii, Disney World, Williamsburg, VA, etc.  Didn't miss the hoopla over the turkey dinner!

Valued Contributor

@pattypeep  Just curious, why did you decide to take the cruise over Thanksgiving instead of Christmas? It seems that if you aren’t going to:be celebrating Christmas with family or friends that this would be the more ideal time to:go. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH and I stopped the holiday stuff three years ago. What a relief. We go to a bed and breakfast and have the buffet and stay over. Lovely. Chiristmas we go to a landmark hotel and do the buffet and sleep over also. No gifts, no decorations, no stress.  Enjoy your vacation and new traditions. 🦃 

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep   When my children were young, my husband and I always planned a trip with the children over Thanksgiving.  It was a tradition we so enjoyed as a family.  My children are grown now and my husband is no longer living, so I don't get the chance to travel as much anymore.  But, I think it's a fabulous way for you and your husband to celebrate the new tradition, his retirement and your 26th wedding anniversary. 

Have a wonderful trip.    

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

I've often thought a vacation over Christmas would be great. I'd pick a beautifully decorated hotel and would tip generously because the workers give up their day with family for the hotel guests.

Honored Contributor

ENJOY!!!

i know myself that i could never be away from home for thanksgiving or christmas. my daughter will be getting married in 2020 and she told me last month that she and her fiance will be going to florida for thanksgiving to spend that time with his dad. this will be her first thanksgiving ever that she wont be with all of us. trying to make her feel guilty doesnt help. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

I can’t wait to be able to do that; every holiday, birthday, Mother’s day, Father’s Day, is on me at our house....good for you!!

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it