Contributor

Re: 38 Weeks till Christmas!!??

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I guess I just don't understand how people spend their whole lives waiting for Christmas.

When you look at it like that, you won't understand it.

It isn't about 'spending your whole life waiting for Christmas', it is about living and loving the spirit and feeling (as well as the decor, food, etc.) of Christmas regardless of the season. 

We aren't wishing our lives away. We aren't forgetting to live in the moment and enjoy what is today. We are simply bringing to the forefront on a more regular basis in our thoughts, readings, and planning, a seasons that brings us such joy. What is wrong with that?

People are capable of enjoying more than one thing at a time. In any given day, I can enjoy getting on the tractor in the warm sun and smelling the fresh first cut of grass, plant a few spring flowers, and then sit on my deck in the warmth of a new season, reading a magazine about Christmas and enjoying the pictures and decor ideas. I can then get up, and run the dog in the bright green grass, sit on the front porch rockers, and soak in the evening sun, then after dark, hit the computer to look at vintage Christmas decor on ebay, as I relax before bed.

I never understood people who have to have a one track mind, and can't enjoy any number of different things at the same time, without regard to the season or time of year.

After all, when we plant the seeds of our vegetable garden, isn't it natural to start planning and dreaming about all that ripe produce being canned and put up toward the fall? Doesn't one take stock of the supplies they will be needing  (more jars, lids, ring, extra sugar for jams, more vinegar for pickling, maybe a new canner etc.). Doesn't one nurture those young plants, anticipating the size of the yield to come, the baskets of produce they will be sending off to friends or coworkers to share the bounty, the wonderful meals one will pick and cook and serve, all from their own labor and land?

Is that wishing or waiting your whole life away? Not in my opinion it isn't. It is called looking forward. It is called dreaming, It is called enjoying the anticipation of what is to come.

It is what life is supposed to be. Looking forward, living in the present, and remembering the past. These are not things that have to be done separately. They function together very well, for people who can balance and mingle them, just like the the varied ingredients in a good recipe, mixing them just right, gives delightful food.

@faeriemoon

@Mominohio I'm saving this post as it so well-written and expresses exactly what I feel. Thank you.

@Mominohio I really love what you have said here! I have been dubbed "obsessed with Christmas" by my friends and family. My brothers have tried to convince my niece and nephews that I work for Santa (I am under 5 feet tall and love Christmas.....therefore I'm an elf). I just LOVE Christmas! The season, the meaning behind it, the feeling of giving and generosity, and good will towards men (and women 😉). I love family and friends being together. I love the food and the music and the decorations and the music. I love anything and everything that has to do with Christmas! 

All of that to say that, while I enjoy other holidays and things going on throughout the year, I pretty much always have Christmas in the back, and sometimes the front, of my mind. I look forward to CIJ almost as much as I look forward to the actual Christmas season. I really wish I had some friends in my area that love it as much as I do so that we could get together and make a weekend out of it! I will make sure to have my iPad handy so that I can keep track of the conversation going on here on the boards! Can't wait

Honored Contributor

@nursemegLPN wrote:

@Marsha2003 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I guess I just don't understand how people spend their whole lives waiting for Christmas.

When you look at it like that, you won't understand it.

It isn't about 'spending your whole life waiting for Christmas', it is about living and loving the spirit and feeling (as well as the decor, food, etc.) of Christmas regardless of the season. 

We aren't wishing our lives away. We aren't forgetting to live in the moment and enjoy what is today. We are simply bringing to the forefront on a more regular basis in our thoughts, readings, and planning, a seasons that brings us such joy. What is wrong with that?

People are capable of enjoying more than one thing at a time. In any given day, I can enjoy getting on the tractor in the warm sun and smelling the fresh first cut of grass, plant a few spring flowers, and then sit on my deck in the warmth of a new season, reading a magazine about Christmas and enjoying the pictures and decor ideas. I can then get up, and run the dog in the bright green grass, sit on the front porch rockers, and soak in the evening sun, then after dark, hit the computer to look at vintage Christmas decor on ebay, as I relax before bed.

I never understood people who have to have a one track mind, and can't enjoy any number of different things at the same time, without regard to the season or time of year.

After all, when we plant the seeds of our vegetable garden, isn't it natural to start planning and dreaming about all that ripe produce being canned and put up toward the fall? Doesn't one take stock of the supplies they will be needing  (more jars, lids, ring, extra sugar for jams, more vinegar for pickling, maybe a new canner etc.). Doesn't one nurture those young plants, anticipating the size of the yield to come, the baskets of produce they will be sending off to friends or coworkers to share the bounty, the wonderful meals one will pick and cook and serve, all from their own labor and land?

Is that wishing or waiting your whole life away? Not in my opinion it isn't. It is called looking forward. It is called dreaming, It is called enjoying the anticipation of what is to come.

It is what life is supposed to be. Looking forward, living in the present, and remembering the past. These are not things that have to be done separately. They function together very well, for people who can balance and mingle them, just like the the varied ingredients in a good recipe, mixing them just right, gives delightful food.

@faeriemoon

@Mominohio I'm saving this post as it so well-written and expresses exactly what I feel. Thank you.

@Mominohio I really love what you have said here! I have been dubbed "obsessed with Christmas" by my friends and family. My brothers have tried to convince my niece and nephews that I work for Santa (I am under 5 feet tall and love Christmas.....therefore I'm an elf). I just LOVE Christmas! The season, the meaning behind it, the feeling of giving and generosity, and good will towards men (and women 😉). I love family and friends being together. I love the food and the music and the decorations and the music. I love anything and everything that has to do with Christmas! 

All of that to say that, while I enjoy other holidays and things going on throughout the year, I pretty much always have Christmas in the back, and sometimes the front, of my mind. I look forward to CIJ almost as much as I look forward to the actual Christmas season. I really wish I had some friends in my area that love it as much as I do so that we could get together and make a weekend out of it! I will make sure to have my iPad handy so that I can keep track of the conversation going on here on the boards! Can't wait

@nursemegLPN

Welcome! And please do join all of us for CIJ! We have a blast here, in the weeks before and after the event. We guess about what will be coming, we chat about the shows and offerings, and we post lots of reviews right here as our purchases arrive. We have started posting lots of pictures of things we get and how we use them. We tend to be big enablers, help people choose 'what looks best' and in general enjoy each other's company.

It is great fun. 

Holiday forum is rather quiet this time of the year, but once Christmas In July airs, it gets pretty busy here. We go on about all the holidays throughout the fall and winter. 

We'll be glad to have you join in with our merriment!

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

So you can enjoy the mood, I'll be happy to send you the snow we got up here last night!

@Snowpuppy

Please, Please, Please send me some SNOW.....we didnt even have a "winter" this year (although winter in Texas isnt that cold or that long)..................

images.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@faeriemoon

Personally, I don't understand how people spend their lives waiting for summer and summer vacation each year.   Why would anyone like summer:....

Heat and Humidity!!! And I don't care what they say about "dry heat", a friend came back from being in Arizona for a work conference and reported, "now I know how a cookie in an oven feels".  And then there's the running from the air conditioned home to air conditoned car to air conditioned work and air conditioned stores to keep out of the heat...........

And then there's the High electric bills as air conditioners hum from morning and throughout the night..........

Mosquitoes, fire aunts, wasps, june bugs, and the rest of the creepy crawlers, snakes, scorpions, and #1 on my HATE list---those big roaches that live outside but like to sneak in for a drink of water.....ARRRGGGH!!! 

SUNBURN!!!  No matter how much sunscreen, hats, or coverups somehow someway it gets you---just driving in your car and waiting in traffic............

Bored children and grandchildren with the cries, "what's there to do".....sending parents and grandparents into a frenzy

Firecrackers!--Fireworks can be beautiful in the right setting....but those noise makers that disturb pets and peace in the neighborhood for weeks after the 4th are annoying!

More Trash and Litter---with the increase in picnickers in our city parks and state parks...so comes more trash and litter from irresponsible people...........

CROWDS--crowded swimming pools, beaches, and movie theaters as people look for ways to escape the heat

The expen$e of a vacation which puts a lot of people in debt

The return home from vacation where you feel more tired and worn out from what---your vacation......and despite the time away and money spent some people don't even have a good time!

Regarding CIJ----You might actually get to see some new and different products on QC at least for a short time anyway--(although QVC will do an overkill of it from July to December)

CIJ----It allows folks to spread out their Christmas gift purchases to make it easier on their budgets so its all paid for by Christmas instead of going into debt and getting "sticker shocked" in January when the bills roll in..........

So Christmas In July is a refreshing break during the long hot summer, it brings beautiful decorations, wonderful music, and just the joys of the season. With CIJ we get a promise---Christmas is coming and hope that the season will be here quicker than we think----So bring it on!!!.  I can't wait until Christmas and cooler weather is actually here when I can bring out the decorations turn on the music, and celebrate the season!!!....To each their own I'll take Christmas............

download3 (2).jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

Beautifully said about Christmas!

Respected Contributor

Looks like others are already gearing up for CIJ; loving this!!!

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

Looks like others are already gearing up for CIJ; loving this!!!

@BornToShop  I am a red girl, and this red is wonderful.  So often, red lanterns are not a true bright red as this is.  Where did you find the picture? Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

This year will be the 10th Christmas I have spent by myself.  I dearly LOVE Christmas and the beautiful decorations.......as well as the spirit that goes with it.  It is also my birthday. I love celebrating the true meaning of Christmas......and feel uplifted during the season.

It is so nice having wonderful ladies (and men) who appreciate Christmas as much as I do.  These forum boards are a delight - and there is such a welcoming camaraderie among the Christmas "sisterhood". 

I still have some Christmas decorations out, because they are too pretty to take down. I went overboard last year buying Christmas items on QVC - but I sure had fun.

Spoiler
Woman Happy
Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl, I am a red girl too & think I will order this.  It is $34.95 on that website that sells battery operated candles.  Let me know if you score!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been kind of busy with family issues lately, but just came on this thread tonight. Can't wait for CIJ! I've been reading all the posts and love the comments reflecting how we feel about Christmas. I always look forward to that moment on Christmas Eve when I'm just about to go to bed and I stand and take in the glow and calm before the storm.

Christmas Eve.jpg